It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:05 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Do I need a sujihiki?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:15 am 

I am a line cook and need a knife for slicing. I break down and portion ribeyes and tenderloins on a daily basis and would like a good knife for the job. My biggest knife is a 240mm gyuto. Would a 270 or 300 sujihiki be the answer? What other tasks are sujis good for? I just need to know if that is the right type of knife for me. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

War Eagle

Post subject: Re: Do I need a sujihiki?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

Sujihikis are basically western carving knives. There are not a whole lot of them available in a large size but we do have a few. Something like this Suisin might work well for you:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suin30su.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:08 pm 

Do you have room for a big slicer? If you do, then go for it, slicing steaks deserves a good tool.

That suisin is a sweet blade for $200.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:12 am 

So it sounds like a 270+ suji would fit the bill for breaking down big pieces of red meat. What other jobs do sujihikis do well? I don't want to drop too much coin on a uni-tasker...

War Eagle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:28 am 

You can cut anything with a suijihiki, but it is primarily a knife for slicing, whether it be roast beef or sushi that you are preparing. The Suisin is a nice knife, but I would go with a Richmond Knives laser sujihiki. Mark just posted one with a custom handle here http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rila27su.html

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:38 pm 

A Suji is a versatile slicer. The things I wouldn't do with it are mostly just because it is so long, or it has no knuckle clearance. A lot of line cooks prefer to use a short Suji during service.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:42 am 

For service, i stick with my 150mm petty and that works just fine for tenderloin and duck breast etc. and is nice and compact. When it comes to prep and breaking down whole cuts, I tend to reach for a 270 suji..the stainless kono i use has enough flex for things like halibut and bass and also makes short work of t-loin, ribeye, pork etc. So i guess to answer your question, yes you can use it for many things aside from slicing...It might not quite stand up to a blade that is built specifically for a job (i.e. deba for fish) but it definitely gets the job done, and then some!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:09 am 

Thanks for all of the help! Sounds like it will be a versatile addition to my kit. My birthday is on Monday, so if I'm lucky enough to get some b-day funds I know where they will be going!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:56 pm 

rayn8689, Mark Richmond has recently started producing knives with awesome steels, perfect profiles and nice handles. You might consider one of those. I have the Artifect 210.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

Need a sujihiki?? Yes, of course; it's a great excuse for another knife!!! :) For a Suji, one that is in carbon steel may be a good way to go. It will get a nice patina from cutting meats and it will be easy to touch up quickly. Most Suji's don't see a lot of board contact, so they hold their edges better than a gyuto made from the same steel. I ordered a custom 300mm in white #2, hoping it comes in this month!!! I have a 330mm gyuto, but that thing is a BEAST, long, wide and heavy and has a lot of friction when slicing!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]