It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:23 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Why Carbon Steel?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hi!
I heard very good things about carbon steel? Whcih are the benefits ( advatanges ) of carbon steel? I heard that the only disadvantage is the discolouration. Are there any more disadvantages?
What kinds of care should I have with a carbon blade?

For example, HD steel vs white #2

best regards, Diogo

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Why Carbon Steel?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

Only other disadvantage I can think of is that some carbon steels give a metallic flavor to some types of food until a patina sets in.

Other than that, it's perfect in every way imo.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:12 pm 

For me it is not important how the knife looks, but how it performs. So, for me discouloration dont make me worried, but the bad metallic flavor that the carbon knives can give in some vegetables like onions is simply horrible. I heard too, that carbon knives can also give a grey colour to onions lemons ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:18 am 

It feels good to sharpen.

Compared to high end stainless, that is all that's different in a good way, except for cool patinas.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:10 am 
Forum Moderator

I can sum it up In one word. The patina the sharpness the coolness of a rainbow of colors after you cut a rare piece of meat the over all feel of the cut the questions from your friends and family asking why are you cutting my food with a dirty knife and u useing your knowledge of jaw it's not dirty but protection of contamination on the food your serving and how the patina does that did I mention ease of sharpening I will take carbon 98% of the time over stainless any day I figure the Japanese or French for that matter were not making knives out of stainless from the get go and it just so beautiful when the colors blend togeather and u see that shiny polished sharp edge which makes the whole thing stand out. See i told u one word! Haha watch out for some of the older and still newer French sabatier knives unless you want to deal with a bolster or finger guard stick with the Japanese unless your willing to put in the extra work because after a while the bolster has to be ground away. And I or we can cover that later in another post. Peace jmbullman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:42 am 

I like both, to tell the truth. The coolest aspect of carbon is how easy it is to sharpen, at least the ones like White #1 & #2. They also get very sharp. The downside is how reactive they are. I try to keep my blade wiped down but my coworkers with carbons...man, there knives look awful all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:23 am 
Forum Moderator

Rob, is it a rusting issue with your employees or lack of proper maintence? To me a patina is a beautiful thing if done properly, if you sit their and cut onions all day you will have a brown knife that looks rust has formed on the other hand if it's cut rare meats and stuff it will take on a beautiful blue and red and other rainbow colors? Just curious on your thoughts on that! Peace bro jmbullman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:05 am 

Oh, it's totally an issue of them simply not keeping them wiped down. But in a professional kitchen it gets busy and that can happen. White #2 (at least the Tojo ITKs) doesn't give you much margin. My ITK Kiritsuke developed a patina within half an hour! I didn't know that was possible.

The bigger issue, IMO, is that carbon will dull kinda quickly when cutting acidic stuff. Again, I have a pretty even split between carbons (White & Blue, plus "Black", whatever it really is) and SS/semi-SS.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:35 am 
Forum Moderator

I got you bro thais for straighting me out I totally forgot about the fast dulling with citrus or hi acid foods. Your still wise beyond your years and i still learn from you, thanks jmbullman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:18 am 

Rob Im glad I am not the only one who thought the kiritsuke itk got a patina CRAZY fast, but I do love that knife!

Drew Hostetler

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]