It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:22 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Noob: I screwed up with a ceramic rod
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:31 am 

I have a Miyabi Birchwood chef's knife. I've had it about 2 months. The knife was super sharp until...

I recently bought a Messermeister ceramic rod. I gave the knife 5 easy passes on the ceramic rod. It is now as dull as a butter knife. What have I done? How can I recover?

:oops:

Post subject: Re: Noob: I screwed up with a ceramic rod
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:57 am 

I am no expert, but FWIW, you have done nothing catastrophic, so don't panic, though fixing will likely require that you sharpen with stones.

Two things come to mind as possible causes:
1) if you do not match the angle of the edge, you can end up making a micro bevel with a more obtuse angle decreasing the "sharpness" of the edge. This would need sharpening to reset the bevel. Not a big deal, it is a normal part of sharpening to reset the bevel.
2) The rod you used is likely a much lower grit than the final finish on the factory edge. As a result the rod will impart a more toothy edge than the original edge. If the final angle has not differed from the original, then this is a case of polishing up the edge with a finishing stone, say ~4k-8k depending on what you need/want out of it.

Do you sharpen?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:01 am 

Thanks for the reply. I don't sharpen. I've watched several of Mark's videos on the subject. I was hoping to avoid sharpening since I'm not sure I have the time, patience or skill.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:22 am 

You learn to love it if you start doing it, dont be intimidated, just dive in. As for the rod, be very gentle, a little bit goes a long way.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:26 am 

Thanks. I think I've forced myself into sharpening. Just need a 1000/6000 combo stone, right? Should I worry with stropping at first? I'm a complete noob on the subject.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:17 pm 

A 1k/6k stone is fine. You may even start with the 6k stone and use gentle technique and see if that gets you edge back. You may very well find you want to move up to the 1k, don't feel like you have to go nuclear on the edge right off the bat.

Stropping helps remove a burr and refine the edge. It is not necessary but you can do it on the cheap with a piece of corrugated cardboard or newsprint. Those work pretty well.

You might also consider practicing with one of your less valuable knives. They give you great practice with the technique involved. Just don't expect something like a Wusthof to get extremely sharp. Western knives kinda get to a point of diminishing returns very quickly, so get a great edge off the 1k side, then skip the 6k, it won't help a whole lot. Once you are happy with the edge you are getting, move to the Miyabi.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

Don't call 911! Your knife is fine.

My guess is when you ran the edge on your rod you did so at too wide an angle and you rolled over the edge which is why it became dull. It's a simple thing to fix. Watch my friend's Steve's video on how to properly use a rod on your knife and try again. Once you get this working you can learn to sharpen on stones.

Here's the vid:

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:48 pm 

But he's left handed, how are we suppose to learn from that! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

hahah :) good one.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:45 pm