It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:47 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Takeda Honesuki
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, my wife bought me a takeda honesuki for Christmas which is a beautiful knife. But I'm noticing the blade chipping very easily when using it for any boning at all. In total, I've probably used it a dozen times on chicken and fish and I'm amazed at the awful condition of the blade. I'd appreciate an advice what can be done.
Thanks,
Chris

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Takeda Honesuki
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

Couple questions:

Have you sharpened the knife?
Can I see a photo? Wide shot of the whole knife so I can see the edge in perspective.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:36 am 
Forum Moderator

CHRIS <> As a generic answer to the generic information you offer, sharpen out the chips with your stones, & retain a more obtuse edge profile by 3-5 degrees per side. Then be vigilant in your boning tasks by not making direct contact with bones as blunt trauma will chip the hard steel you own.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:32 pm 

Thanks, I have not had it sharpened since I've only used it, maybe, a dozen times. I'll bring it into my guy and have him take a look but it seems odd to buy a boning knife that can't touch a bone, especially for chicken.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:55 pm 

I have this knife and experienced some chipping when it was new.....after a few sharpenings it doesn't chip anymore and I do cut through some of the smaller bones.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

CHRIS <> On the contrary & irrespective of CARTER's comment, an Honesuki is not intended to touch bone. It is a "boning" knife, but that does not translate into a knife meant to touch bone... rather it is a knife meant to separate flesh from bone.

A Honesuki is a HIGHLY SPECIALIZED implement, that when sharpened acutely with high Hrc rated steel, requires high levels of skill. Boning a bird, to the bone, does not require touching the bones... with your cutting edge. The back of your spine may skim the carcass, but the cutting edge should not be touching bone. The Honesuki's design allows an incomparable ability to navigate a birds carcass & to bifurcate joints, but cartilaginous joints are the hardest product the cutting edge is meant to contact.

Now if your skill set is not commensurate to this specialized a tool & there is no condescension intended in said comment as I glean you are not a professional butcher nor cook nor Chef, then as I suggested, implementing a more obtuse angle on your edge bevel will widen your margin for error regarding slip ups creating bone to cutting edge contact.

Another option would be to retain whatever angle bevels are in place although they need be reset anyhow due to the damage you've caused, and then microbevel them at an additional 15 degrees per side.

What you are experiencing is by no means "odd" when you consider most Americans have become accustomed to the abuse that soft German steel can easily endure. Hard steel is an entirely different ball game that is capable of achieving & retaining exponentially sharper edges... with special abilities comes special needs.

This is not directed at you, Chris, but a point I've made a thousand times before is, "Japanese knives aren't for the masses; at least, not at their current level of awareness."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:41 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Chris,

I'll be happy to sharpen that knife for you no charge. Just pay shipping (about $10). We can also put a micro bevel on the edge to keep it from chipping on you and I think that will solve the problem.

Just email me before you send it.

Mark

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:32 am 

Thanks everyone, I had a feeling the responses would be along these lines.

Mark, thanks for the offer but I'll have it sharpened locally and continue to practice.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:37 am 

+1 to what Mel said

IF you need to hit scrape bone pick up a beater knife... I keep one on my kit for frenching.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]