It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:35 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Do I use a knife or a saw or what.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:56 am 

Home user.
I have 3 frozen salmon filet / sides in my freezer. Each is 2 to 4 pounds, they have been cleaned, no bones, skin on one side. I bought them like that vacuum sealed. (This is similar to what you see at Costco but frozen and wild caught bla bla fancy.)

We can't can't eat a 4 pound piece in my house in one go. I assume its stupid to defrost, eat half, and re-freeze half due to quality going down.

Should I cut it in half frozen with a bread knife or take my sawz all or some other carpentry tool to it. No j knives obviously.

Thanks.

El

Post subject: Re: Do I use a knife or a saw or what.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:31 pm 

I cut and break apart all kinds of frozen foods at my house and at work all the time. At home example would be something like cutting a two pound block of frozen ground beef in half or a bag of chicken breasts all in one container in half. You could use a a serrated knife or you could use a cleaver, or possibly just a beefy knife that you don't care about. You can bang foods that are stuck together on the edge of a sink, countertop, or cutting board or even go out in your garage so you don't damage anything in your kitchen. Sounds barbaric but the whole idea of attaining nourishment can be.

Also be careful, it can get a bit dangerous trying to apply a lot of force with a knife to something that doesn't want to give!!!

If it were me I would break out my handy dandy cutco chef knife which is great for this sort of task and just try even downward pressure to start and if that didn't work I might try puncturing the fish in several spots until it breaks apart, which is a bit dangerous as I mentioned. Good luck!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

A hacksaw w/a clean blade might work pretty well. If you have a sharp, clean hatchet available that might work, but be careful what you put under your product - you don't want to mess up a good cutting board. A good old fashioned heavy cleaver is an option as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

EL <> If hard as a rock frozen, yes, a hacksaw is perfect... just like a band saw at the butcher's. A cleaver will not make a clean cut accurately.

If you thaw it out partially, you can get through it cleanly with a heavy soft steel Chef's knife.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:57 pm 

Global seems the way to go. Haha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:15 pm 

Butchers Cleaver and a dead blow hammer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:31 pm 

Hacksaw with a fresh or very carefully cleaned blade. Any my typical knife, even a western cleaver, is an inefficient and more dangerous tool for this. It won't be as clean, of course, but you could trim it up with a knife when you defrost it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:16 pm 

:lol:

Awesome vid Mowg!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:32 pm 

Haha thanks cedar. However, credit must go to Salty. Just a reposter here!

Mowgs

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]