It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:14 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Slicer gift for Dad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:39 pm 

socalboo wrote:A wise man once told me if you are trying to decide between and suji and a yanagiba, you want a suji.

+1, and that Kono is awful nice for the price!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:40 am 

"A wise man once told me if you are trying to decide between and suji and a yanagiba, you want a suji."

...do you recall who the wise guy was?

...and I agree.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:01 am 

I believe Adam Marr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:17 am 

Lepus wrote:If he only makes it a few times a year, I agree a devoted yanagiba could be overkill. The Kono HH, if you decided to get it through the forum special, would be a great knife for a thousand purposes and would be fine for a lefty. The HH line is thin and I don't think you'd find many suji better suited for cutting fish. In terms of bang for your buck, the Kono would be your best bet, easily. The only question I have is how often he would use such a long, thin knife. For many home cooks, 270mm and so narrow is superfluous, you could as well give him or her a sword for as much kitchen use as it would see. If you think he'd benefit from having a sujihiki in his day to day life, I'd grab the Konosuke in ten posts. Otherwise, Mark's done all the lefties a solid with the Kitaoka.

The suji really seems like the more practical choice. They do a lot of hosting/dinner parties and i see this being a great addition to that. The Jedi factor of that long slender knife is pretty awesome.

Himself wrote:Not very many, if any, knives are more elegant than a 300mm yanagiba.

The question might not be "How often will he use it?" rather "How much will he enjoy using it?"

The fact that you gave it to him will just add to his pleasure.

This is where i started at, but i think I've come around to the suji. Still there with you on the length. Worse case scenario is he loves it so much I decide to also get him a yanagi next year :P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:25 am 

FYI: I went with the 300mm Kono Suji. it's awesome

He's gonna love it. thanks for the assistance

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

Sweet! Excellent choice.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:00 pm 

Excellent choice. I'm looking for more roasts to cut just so I have something to use it on.

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2