It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:37 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Chef"
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:05 am 

The reality of a kitchen is the work is pretty repetitive and monotonous. Sure, julianning a couple onions is fun stuff, but doing a couple cases of onions... a little boring, not to mention teary xD

During service you really got to pay attention otherwise you'll be in the shit fast.

The only thing I can say is, I have a skill set for the culinary world and for other professions (industrial design, engineering, draftsman, etc). I can't really picture myself doing anything else, day in day out I enjoy the work I do. It's my life, it's what makes me happy and what makes me want to wake up in the morning. My Dad passed away yesterday morning, really the only thing that's kept me connected to reality is food and cooking. It relaxes me and keeps me balanced.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:11 am 

Culinary school can be a viable introduction. It covers an expansive subject matter and your instructors will (should) teach you as much as you want to learn. What it doesn't do is simulate restaurant conditions. When a culinary graduate starts a career, they start at the same level as anyone else. A lot don't make anything of it. Most of my classmates washed out of their high end career path quickly.

As for the CIA, JWU, or the like, I don't think they're even close to worth it. My instructors were near or at the same level, the equipment was fantastic, the classes were small, and I paid everything out of pocket.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:16 am 

Lunatic,

My sincere condolences. I've been there and it's a harsh toke.

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:21 pm 

Sorry to hear the Luny. Best to you and your family.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:28 pm 

Luna, sorry to hear the news. I know nothing will replace what you have lost. Hang in there, my father went when I was 20, I still find myself missing the bastard.

Dan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:13 pm 

Lunatic,

Sorry to hear the news, my sincere condolences to you and your family.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:39 pm 

Lunatic,

I am saddened to hear of your loss.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:56 pm 

Lunatic

My condolences to you and your family

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:46 am 

Thanks guys, means a lot. Been just a surreal few days.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

STEVEO <> I am a strong advocate against culinary school. I am an even stronger advocate against working in food service. Shitty job w/mostly shitty people, for shitty pay, during shitty hours… anyone consciously & willingly trying to enter the industry is a dolt.. IMO. There are the young children out there like the Canadian LUNA, who have that beautifully innocent perspective of life whereas “the life of a starving artist” is cool, but odds are he will wake up and smell the roses. Hopefully before his stubborn youthful spunk wastes his life away on the shit-hole of an industry professional food service is. I’ll repeat - hopefully before his stubborn youthful spunk wastes his life away on the shit-hole of an industry professional food service is.

To quote him, “I can't really picture myself doing anything else, day in day out I enjoy the work I do. It's my life, it's what makes me happy and what makes me want to wake up in the morning. “ Odds are, as I’m sure most adults will concur, 95% of teenagers’ vision is limited at best. It would be extremely difficult for him to picture anything else as he has such a tiny amount of life experience to draw upon. Maybe he’s the 5%... I doubt it.

Suggested reading:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4817&hilit=culinary%20school <--link

NBLES <> I glean that’s rhetorical as they’re both useless fodder in our way.

Page 3 of 4 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next