It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:34 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Overthinking This?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:40 pm 

I'm a home cook and was wondering about a sharpening technique.
I like my knives at 2K and 4K depending on what I cut with them.

The question is, would lightly stropping them with a .5 or .1 compound on Roo after the stone yield any benefit or am I just looking for an excuse to keep sharpening? :)

Douglas

Post subject: Re: Overthinking This?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:43 am 

even .5 is a jump... I would use 1 micron and see what u think, I don't go much lower than that on anything I use regularly... if I want to shave with it than sure... but im not big on super refined edges at work... at home id say go as low as you want and keep touching it up... but u prob want to ad a higher finisher before u think about going that low on a strop... .5 micron would be like a 30000 grit jump

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:47 am 

I find it helps. It cleans the edge up of any residual burrs if nothing else. I strop after stones but I don't get crazy with it either. 1u on felt and/or just bare leather.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:59 am 

Sheffiec> I'm not thinking of fully refining the edge to .5 or .1u and losing the toothiness.I'm just wondering if maybe the edge might be somehow more robust with 2-3 passes. I agree with you that an almost 7 micron jump would be HUGE if I wanted to go in progression.

Jeff B> OK then...I'll give it a try.
Just my wife & I and we don't prepare large or elaborate meals so I don't know if I'll even notice but it will interesting to try.
Once again, just 2-3 passes.
After a week or so I'll put it under the Veho.
If I can figure out how to post pictures, I'll post if you're interested.

Thanks

Douglas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:12 am 

If I want a knife to have that rolls royce edge I will strop it on .5u and then bare leather. However when you get the edge down that refined it dies on the board fairly quickly, sure a hone or stone will bring it back, but at that point you've lost the refinement.

It's a fun thing and definitely worth getting at least some bare leather to strop on. As Jeff said it will remove any remainder of burr, as well as give the blade a nice polish.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:27 am 

I think where Douglas is going is to stay at an 'unrefined' 4K and strop that. Yes, I have seen discussions where that provides a favorable outcome. No experience myself, however. Give it a shot and let us know.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

Jeff B wrote:I find it helps. It cleans the edge up of any residual burrs if nothing else. I strop after stones but I don't get crazy with it either. 1u on felt and/or just bare leather.

I agree with Jeff. I lightly strop when I finish on my stones. Usually a few easy passes with horse butt and usually with a little diamond paste loaded on the surface to make it work a little more quickly. It cleans up the edge.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]