It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:03 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Daily use work edge, How far do you take it?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:11 pm 

atang wrote:I think I follow what you're saying Jason. The serrations cut better by slicing on a single point(cut line) repeatedly at the same angle of approach(uniform and symmetrical teeth?). So I assume that the grit level of finish is the same effect. Now the size and number also play a role. For example:
the difference between
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Or
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Where there are many but smaller teeth, or less and larger teeth.
Under similar wear conditions, the larger teeth will still be present after the smaller teeth have disappeared. A coarse edge will have a longer usable life span than a highly refined edge.

The irregular patterns(jnats?) should have a longer comparable edge life. Just as timber saws, chainsaws, and other cutting tools have multiple size teeth in pattern(or random) configurations

\/v\/v\/v\/v

Hope I'm in the ballpark with this.

Close but the opposite. Cutting at different approach angles like a fully serrated knife (think bread knife) causes the edge to be in contact with a smaller surface area at high pressure. When you have a very refined edge 8k+ The edge apex is very smooth and when worn you end up with what most of us have experienced from bad stropping technique.

The shark tooth analogy probably plays better with natural stones. You described the varying size teeth which is exactly why high grit natural edges perform the way they do. A natural stone edge on every cutting tool would be great because you would always be at the peak of performance but just as with anything at peak performance it takes high levels of maintenance to keep that performance.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:44 pm 

Well as chance has it, I just ordered a spyderco manix in s110v. For edc type use (boxes, zip ties,) what type of edge would you recommend?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:20 pm 

I've always kept a rough, toothy egde on my pocket knives. It's almost impossible to cut a rope with a straight razor even though its sharp as hell.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:38 pm 

LucaBrasi wrote:Well as chance has it, I just ordered a spyderco manix in s110v. For edc type use (boxes, zip ties,) what type of edge would you recommend?

A fine diamond (600 mesh) would be a good finish for that steel in a folding knife. Remove the burr with some diamond compound on a strop and you will have a knife ready for serious cutting.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:42 pm 

I always read threads like this with interest and more than a little amusement. It never takes long before somebody breaks out the topic of cutting rope.

Now, don't get me wrong, I know that kitchen work presents a host of vagaries between proteins, veggies, and the ever-present cutting board. And testing performance against rope, such as documented by Ankerson, is a very valid and consistent method. However, this is the CHEF Knives to Go forum, not the Marlinespike Seamanship forum, and we should not be so dismissive of those who wish to share their experience gained from using chef knives in the purpose for which they were designed.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:30 am 

Thank you tall Dark and Swarfy. This one kind of went left quick. I will add some specifics. Main knife right now is a Aogami laser 240 which I recently purchased. Other go to is a tojiro flash 240. I try to switch it up to keep the carpel tunnel at bay. I use the laser most of he day but will use tojiro for breaking own fish or anything bony. the laser is amazing for vegetables, I cannot say that clearer. I take my knives home to sharpen every ten to fourteen days. other than that its an idahone. should I be touching up on higher grit stone more often. for the most part a few swipes and laser will fall through a tomato. My knives will tell me when they are dull, then I will sharpen. My question was will a little more time on edge at 4-5k make it last longer that progressing to 6k or higher. We are talking about hours of daily use on poly boards {decent ones} not too hard. And I do carry a very sharp benchmade as well for those concerned. Thanks again George

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:37 am 

I like a 2k edge on most of my daily users at work, I find that gives me the most longevity. use a 2k shapton pro and love the results, and most of the time I don't even use a rod through out the day, takes me less than 5 mins to touch up the edge on the 2k stone at the end of shift. that being said I will usually sharpen up to 4-6k first when I did the original progression.. ill use that till it needs help and then touch up on 2k till it needs more... hope that helps and yes that is in a professional setting

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:27 am 

I should have clarified my comment was specific to the edc boxes and zip ties post before. Rope isnt a far strech in that context, and im sure im not the last person to use hyperbole.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:38 am 

Im sorry your post got hijacked, hope youve found helpful info... it seems like many people have different preferences. Experimentation seems like the answer that'll help you the most

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:01 am 

jmcnelly,

It was clear that you were referring to LucaBrasi's sweet new Spyderco. I ordered the same knife. That was the first of 3 knives I ordered this weekend. Somebody stop me!

Cheers,

Rick

Page 2 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next