It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:17 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Richmond Laser AS Sujis
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:04 am 

Hey all, searched this topic and couldn't find too much discussion. Was wondering how many of you have handled one, and what your impressions were. I know initially they looked a little tall? The website also lists them as pretty thick. I own the gyotu and its tall enough where the grind allows it to get nice and thin behind the edge. Is the suji able to get down that thin with less height to work with?

Post subject: Re: Richmond Laser AS Sujis
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

IIRC, mine is like 40mm at the heel I think? Taller than the Artifex 270mm and a touch shorter than the 300mm W#2 Kono and Masakage Mizu 270mm IIRC. The AS Laser series is thick out of the handle at the spine and then taper down. My AS Laser Suji has a strong convex grind and works excellently for slicing roasts and stuff. I would not use it as a general prep knife because it's a much thicker grind than the AS Laser gyuto's/Nakiri's I have seen.

Choil shot of mine. It's a thicker, stiffer, strongly convexed suji, which is what I was looking for. I have a Kono W#2 300mm and Artifex 270mm for thin/flexy suji's. I prefer the AS Laser Suji for slicing stuff so far since food falls away from the blade so easily.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:32 pm 

Thanks a lot taz.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

I love that handle job you did Tim. Very nice.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:07 pm 

I can't add much. I like my AS laser suji but is not a laser. Whether it makes sense for you, that depends on what you need it to do.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:23 am 

Ok thank u both. For me I want a thin blade so I can slice fish as well as meat. The others I was looking at we're a masakage white 2 and the anryu blue 2 . Maybe these would be a better step up. Currently I'm using a misono carbon which is super thin but I just started to get that itch to move up. I'm sure we've all felt it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:09 pm 

I'll say the same as others- despite being called a 'laser' it's rather weighty. I was able to get it silly sharp fairly quickly (1200, 5K, 8K stones), really love the core steel. It's not going to be very good for prep duties though, just for fun I tried that out, and while it's very very sharp it doesn't fall through food well at all. Would be good for slicing anything thinly, herbs, greens etc though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:23 pm 

I did just get the Konosuke HH suji, it is much thinner. Same dimensions as the HD steel, which is considered a better steel. Either of those could be considered.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yup, Kono HH, HD or White #2 suji's are very nice and would be great for general prep; they are tall, too in the 300mm versions. The AS Suji is a slicing powerhouse, using mine today on a 10# boneless ham :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:53 pm 

taz575 wrote:Yup, Kono HH, HD or White #2 suji's are very nice and would be great for general prep; they are tall, too in the 300mm versions. The AS Suji is a slicing powerhouse, using mine today on a 10# boneless ham :)

This statement is why I will be picking up the AS suji when the time comes. I'm looking for a meat slicer for this type of knife. Thanks

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]