It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Richmond R-2 Lasers?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:54 pm 

Boss,

Check out the links below. HAP40 and R2 are both powdered metallurgy steels, which refers to how the steels are made. But the composition, the amounts and types of alloying elements differentiate one steel from another. Some of the guys on here really know their stuff, but just eyeballing it:

HAP40: semi-stainless due to relatively low chromium content, lots of elements for increasing hardness and abrasion resistance
R2: stainless, fewer alloys, more "pure"

Really reaching here, so if someone knows otherwise please correct me, but HAP40 should have killer edge retention but not be capable of quite the edge refinement that R2 can attain.

HAP40 composition: http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/st ... p?nm=hap40
R2 composition: http://zknives.com/knives/steels/r2.shtml
Primer on steel: http://www.zknives.com/knives/articles/ ... lfaq.shtml

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:11 am 

Mark,

Even though you are receiving positive responses in this thread, is an R2 Laser an answer looking for a question? The AS Laser is so great on so many levels. Would your efforts be better expended elsewhere?

Personally I would prefer a revamp of the AEB-L Laser. Move production to a skilled Japanese house and introduce a somewhat exotic but stainless monosteel. Crucible and Konosuke talking over a cup of sake? That could be the stuff of legend. It wouldn't be cheap. I wouldn't care.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:19 am 

I'd be in for an R-2 laser of some variety :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:22 am 

Tall Dark and Swarfy wrote:Mark,

Even though you are receiving positive responses in this thread, is an R2 Laser an answer looking for a question? The AS Laser is so great on so many levels. Would your efforts be better expended elsewhere?

Personally I would prefer a revamp of the AEB-L Laser. Move production to a skilled Japanese house and introduce a somewhat exotic but stainless monosteel. Crucible and Konosuke talking over a cup of sake? That could be the stuff of legend. It wouldn't be cheap. I wouldn't care.

Cheers,

Rick

I like the way you think.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:56 am 

cedarhouse wrote:Boss,

Check out the links below. HAP40 and R2 are both powdered metallurgy steels, which refers to how the steels are made. But the composition, the amounts and types of alloying elements differentiate one steel from another. Some of the guys on here really know their stuff, but just eyeballing it:

HAP40: semi-stainless due to relatively low chromium content, lots of elements for increasing hardness and abrasion resistance
R2: stainless, fewer alloys, more "pure"

Really reaching here, so if someone knows otherwise please correct me, but HAP40 should have killer edge retention but not be capable of quite the edge refinement that R2 can attain.

HAP40 composition: http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/st ... p?nm=hap40
R2 composition: http://zknives.com/knives/steels/r2.shtml
Primer on steel: http://www.zknives.com/knives/articles/ ... lfaq.shtml

Thanks, Cedar. I'll definitely have to check these links out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:32 am 

kirky- very interested as to what you disliked about the shiro kamo you have? I have a 240 and love alomost everything other than a slightly thicker shoulder area than is need imo... s far as edge refinement and holding capabilities I really like the blade...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:19 pm 

I guess my main question would be the grind. Would it be the same as the as laser or would it be a touch thinner? I really like your laser, but if it would be the exact same grind and only a new steel flavor, I would just get the as laser. If it was thinner I would probably bite.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:04 pm 

Cheffiec, I got the last of the 210 Shiro, first it had a scratch in the blade, second I felt the the spine wasn't rounded out that well, third the handle was not done very well wasn't a smooth transition between ferrule and handle and there was a some kind of stain on the ferrule , also the height of the blade was not what I was expecting, put it next to my aebl laser it look to to be the same height, and lastly which is not that big of a deal since could easily fix this, it wasn't that sharp ootb, basically for a for a 210 knife at a price of 240 dollars should not have some of these issues, I spent 230 dollars on my aebl laser (the most I ever spent on a knife) and was very impressed with the fit and finish on that knife. But I really Want to give R2 a go around at work

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:00 pm 

I think Tall D&S has a great point. I would love to try R2 at that price point, but it might be more interesting to do something like replacing the AEB-L laser with a Ginsan or even a semi-stainless tool steel. I like the R2 idea, and imagine they would sell, but since time and shelf space is limited a more exciting version of the stainless laser could be really cool.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

R2 is an impressive steel. Much easier to sharpen than M390, but takes and holds a wicked edge! Really enjoying my Tanaka R2 blade, still stupidly sharp and cleanly slicing paper towels, the slightest edge degradation maybe, but I've been using it for almost everything the past few weeks.

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next