It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:29 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Daughter graduating from Hampshire College
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:24 am 

Kaede, I'm with desol on this one. He has given some excellent knives as recommendations. He has given a good selection of knives that are high performing and low maintenance. I own a few of the konos and they are some of my favorite knives. They will last a long time and she is unlikely to outgrow them. Since budget is not a concern I'll throw this out as an option for the primary chefs knife. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sata24wa.html
Congrats to you daughter and happy hunting

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:40 am 

salemj wrote:And, above all, with that kind of budget, I second the opinion that you should buy her TWO sets of knives, so that she can leave her favorites at home, and take the ones that feel more durable – and perhaps are more easily replaceable or less custom – on the road. Only one set of good stone (to leave at home), and then perhaps a two-sider or a good strop set for the road—make sure this stone is "splash and go," or "no need to soak."

Definitely agree with this advice. It's not easy to travel with knives, so the really high-end investment pieces should live at home, and then she can have a lower-end 'travel kit', where she's not gonna weep if the TSA decides they can't follow her to her destination.

BTW, I'm a Mount Holyoke grad, so I went to school right near your daughter. I miss the Pioneer Valley - beautiful area!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:31 am 

Great suggestions above. Only a few points here. First, the only element I would advise against in the previous advice is the transportation method. While the Ultimate Edge is a boss knife kit, you have room in your budget to spare. I would seriously look at something like the JAW knife roll or even contact a top notch leather worker about something. You can afford the class.

Second, Ken Schwartz recently brought to light a new knife line using a steel I'd never heard of before, a Nubatama Richmond knife in black steel. You'd have to ask Mark (our benevolent supplier) or Ken for details, but it's apparently extraordinary. The knives are far, far, far outside the normal budget, but that's not an issue for you. These are one off pieces of art.

Outside other suggestions, there are other knife makers who would also give the set ridiculous character, the sort that requires knowing the right people. For your money, there's nothing stopping you from acquiring a one off knife made by a true master. Some of those people frequent these forums. If our Konosuke suggestions are Porsches, something like this is a Rolls Royce. You can't usually buy that sort of knife from an internet store, but Mark could assuredly help you find someone to sell you one and others here would know smiths by experience and reputation. You could then build the set around that using the suggestions above. Personally, a Murray Carter is on my bucket list.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:59 am 

Keep in mind however, that many of the more elaborate custom knives will be carbon steel and will require ongoing maintenance...such that the knife is never permitted to rust.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:05 pm 

The suggestion to stay in the Konosuke line of knives is a great one. The only other full line I would consider would be Masakage, but none of the lines are fully stainless.

I also like the idea of a secondary set of knives. Most people here have multiples of the same type of knife. One way I was thinking you might accomplish this is to get her the initial set, then maybe give her a (recently talked about in another thread) CKTG gift certificate or something. That way as she learned or needed new things, she could get them on her own.

I wouldn't go too overboard with the stones. It could be a little overwhelming with stones and plates and strops, etc. I would go for a combo stone and maybe an idahone.

Sayas would be nice too. It would just further protect the knives in their travels.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

Nola, the Masakage Kiri series is all stainless with VG10 core steel.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:27 pm 

SteveG wrote:Nola, the Masakage Kiri series is all stainless with VG10 core steel.

I thought we didn't typically suggest vg10 with all of the other options there are out there, not to mention the budget. You are correct though. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:43 pm 

+1 on lepus s thoughts.

If I had 10,000 to spare. I would include some customs. There are huge names as Kramer. Overkill. At those prices. But as he suggested. Murray Carter. Or you can check the work of the guys at the forum. I drooled more than once with their work.

As I read she is no expert and it would fall into your hands to pitch to her the brands that we would recommend. As konosuke or maskage.

As many have mentioned. They are not highly publicized brands as Shun, Miyabi, Global and the Germans. I fell into this rabbit hole by searching for something else. (forging Steels). She will appreciate it at the end.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:55 am 

If i was the beneficiary of such a wonderful gesture, I think I would like a mixed set of known solid performers (Kono and Masakage come to mind, but those are my personal preferences which I fully acknowledge) and a large credit at CKTG. I would like to play around with the knives purchased, get a feel for steels, types, geometries, aesthetics, price points, etc., and then buy my very own personal set of bliss blades.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:37 am 

Knife recommendations are about serving the customers needs...

Page 2 of 4 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next