It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:13 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Japanese knife wanted. Here are my answers.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:49 pm 

IMHO, get an inexpensive carbon knife like a Fujiwara, and a couple of stones or a combo stone.
Don't buy another knife for a year.
Use the Fujiwara and learn to sharpen. Sharpen it into a suji.
Then, when you're confident in your sharpening skills, spring for a really nice knife.

I wish I had done it this way.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:20 am 

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with pdx. Don't waste your money on a knife that will be replaced by something better within a year. Learning to sharpen is very important but I'm sure that you have beater knives around the house to practice with. The first knife I bought cost $200 and I'm glad I started there. I didn't throw $100 at a knife that wouldn't get used after I started buying high end. Use that $100 on good stones and practice your sharpening with what ever you have around the house right now until your comfortable enough to do a higher end knife.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:49 am 

Jeff B wrote:I'm sorry but I have to disagree with pdx. Don't waste your money on a knife that will be replaced by something better within a year. Learning to sharpen is very important but I'm sure that you have beater knives around the house to practice with. The first knife I bought cost $200 and I'm glad I started there. I didn't throw $100 at a knife that wouldn't get used after I started buying high end. Use that $100 on good stones and practice your sharpening with what ever you have around the house right now until your comfortable enough to do a higher end knife.

+1 (get a TKC, lol)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:57 pm 

I agree with Jeff and Dan.

Unless you have a need and or desire for a beater knife, do not waste money buying something you will not use long term. You will never go wrong with good stones.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2