It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:35 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nubatama 'Richmond' knife pictures
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:28 pm 

ken123 wrote:"
"Photographically shooting it against a bright light would yield just a dark outline of the blade."

You mean like this great shot Ken? :D
konosuke-fujiyama-blue-2-gyuto-and-sharpening-t5250-10.html"

Yes exactly. Pardon the OT discussion of photography for the moment, which isn't the topic of the thread. In your photo, the outline is present only as a silhouette. You have no detail of the surface at all and from the silhouette, you can't tell if the shot is skewed relative to the camera.
Ken

Isn't the point of a choil shot to be able to see the cross-sectional representation of the grind?...and to see 'more or less how thin it is behind the edge?

Just to get a basic idea.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:55 am 
Forum Moderator

"Isn't the point of a choil shot to be able to see the cross-sectional representation of the grind?...and to see 'more or less how thin it is behind the edge?

Just to get a basic idea."

Yes. I feel that the shots I used actually give at least a basic idea plus even more detail. Did you have a chance to review all the other images on my FB page? Please look them over and let me know what else you would like to see. If you want a light bulb shot, I got in a few more knives that I can use to take additional shots for you (Desol) - even a light bulb shot :) I'll also get some more measurements for you (<<Melampus>>)

---
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

MORE RYOBAS.?! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yup :) They were still sleeping and just woke up :)

---
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:56 pm 

ken123 wrote:"Isn't the point of a choil shot to be able to see the cross-sectional representation of the grind?...and to see 'more or less how thin it is behind the edge?

Just to get a basic idea."

Yes. I feel that the shots I used actually give at least a basic idea plus even more detail. Did you have a chance to review all the other images on my FB page? Please look them over and let me know what else you would like to see. If you want a light bulb shot, I got in a few more knives that I can use to take additional shots for you (Desol) - even a light bulb shot :) I'll also get some more measurements for you (<<Melampus>>)

---
Ken

I ditched Facebook ages ago...happily. :) Nah...I was mostly just razzin ya Ken, I wouldn't want to put you through all that work. :)

I can still view FB pages tho...so I'll try have a look..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

Umberto wrote:Ken and Mark...with all due respect we deserve more information. What is black steel? Is it a proprietary blend of materials that the blacksmith wishes to keep secret? If so, that's fine...Second, who makes Nubatama knives? Is this a secret too?

I can fully respect that you'd want to develop a high end esoteric boutique knife, but for that kind of money your customers deserve to know some very basic questions. Who forged it? How is black steel different than top shelf Hitachi steel?

"I do realize that many people are not going to be willing to take the plunge on an unknown knifemaker with a mystery steel and this greatly restricts the rate of acceptance of these knives for the value that they possess, but some parts of presenting this are beyond my control that I just have to accept. It will cause a much slower rate of acceptance of what is an exceptional knife."

Ken...I do believe without a doubt that many knife enthusiasts are willing to accept unknown knife steels knowing they are buying a one of a kind work of functional art. But those who buy such knives are seeking a direct connection to the person who forged the steel. Are you implying that the knife maker or collective knife production team does not want to make it's presence known?

I think it is safe to say inquiring minds want to know what is black steel...and who is behind Nubatama blades. If those questions can't be answered in the vaguest of responses then we absolutely have the right to possess doubts about Nubatama.

I have no idea who makes it or what's in it. None. Also you seem to have this entitlement issue like you somehow deserve to know proprietary information. Why is that? We deserve to know why you want to know this stuff. Are you trolling for information? Are you working for someone else? I think when you ask these questions we need to know some very basic questions. Who are you? How come you want to know so badly? Are you really interested in buying the knife? Are you willing to pay for the information you are asking for? I think it's safe to say inquiring minds want to know who you are and who sent you here to ask these questions? (just kidding)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

"Nah...I was mostly just razzin ya Ken, I wouldn't want to put you through all that work."

But I insist LOL

Here's a couple of 'light bulb photos' showing a Nubatama knife - black steel knife edge profile with a light bulb behind it. A second picture is a 'Shiro tai' (white steel) nubatama knife light bulb profile.

I'm actually going to tune this one up more as it has seen some use.

Now the shiro tai white steel Nubatama

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:06 pm 

They both look really nice Ken. I like the grind on the top one. That is a double beveled knife, correct?

Thanks for the photos.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes - both double beveled. Glad to provide a couple of 'illuminating' photos :)

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:43 am 

All I know is I want as much information as I can get before I throw down a week and a halves pay on anything.

Page 3 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next