It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:42 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Konosuke Fujiyama Blue vs Kanehiro vs Takeda 240s
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:21 pm 

Hi everyone, first post here...or anywhere for that matter. I'm in the market for a 240 gyuto and am considering the following knives, but definitely open to other suggestions by those that know much better than me. I've only used Wustof type knives before but looking to get one of the following pretty quickly:
1. Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #2 (out of stock currently)
2. Kanehiro (also out of stock)
3. Takeda

Definitely don't want a super thin "laser" and since this is my first Japanese style knife I'd like one that I can't screw up too easily with sharpening, etc... ; )

All are about the same price $319-$334 which are in my budget, so any other suggestions please keep under $350.

So some questions:
1. Does the finish on the Takeda tend to fade and if so will it look bad? I'm well aware of the need to keep these dry and clean at all times and am set on getting a carbon steel knife. However I want it to look good as I plan on taking excellent care of it.
2. Is the Kanehiro more of a "workhorse" knife? Does that mean thicker...and does that mean it wedges more or doesn't cut as easily and cleanly?
3. Experience? Suggestions?
4. Any info on the actual quality of these knives or these craftsmen?

I've done tons of research and reading and this is what I came up with as my top choices. I know it's a lot to ask but I definitely appreciate any and all responses!

Post subject: Re: Konosuke Fujiyama Blue vs Kanehiro vs Takeda 240s
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:23 pm 

Just FYI, I love the finish on the Takeda gyuto...but also love the way the others look. It's neither a pro or con for me....unless the finish is a bear to deal with and inhibits patina or winds up being even more rust prone.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ram,

Welcome to the forum.

The three knives you chose are all excellent. We sell more Takedas than the other two combined but part of that is Takeda has been available for a longer period of time.

The finish on his knives does wear away if you scrub it but it still looks cool as this happens over the years. His knives are thin and most people really like them because they take a great edge and it falls through watever you cut with it. Aogami super steel is hard and takes a wicked edge.

The Kanehiro is similar but a bit thicker, more of a workhorse type knife and has stainless cladding on the majority of the knife. That finish won't come off. Same aogami super on the edge. These are comperable knives in terms of quality but a little more robust than Takedas knvies.

Konosuke's fujiyama blacksmith does great work as does the grinder. There is a high level of finish on these blades and they are excellent performers. Very different looking knife than the above two. I love their stuff.

Pick the one that appeals to you most. You won't go wrong.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:07 am 

Thanks for the reply! Do you know when the other two will be back in stock?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:41 pm 

Hey Mark, I spent some more time thinking and looking and have decided on the Takeda 240 Gyuto. I know that they are all a little different due to being made by hand. Is it possible to order one with a little belly and one that you have in stock that is less wide than the others?

And if so, how would I go about doing so? Just call the main number on the order page?
Thanks, looking forward to the knife!!
Stan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

Both of them have problems producing enough knives to keep us stocked. I'm guessing they will be ready in a few weeks.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:28 am 

All three of the knives you are looking at are made by hand.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]