It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:39 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: whats your sharpening progression?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:43 pm 

A 5k shave could get dicey, but you don't need such a fine edge for kitchen knives. They break down too quickly. In fact, a lot of people (myself included) only take German knives to 2k.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:04 pm 

Awesome wrote:
Melampus wrote:AWESOME <> 5-8K = 5,000-8,000 :geek:

Yeah, I might be a bit off when it comes to kitchen knives.
My experience in sharpening comes mainly from straight razors and I would not want to shave off a 5-8K stone.

You could shave with a straight off a 5-8k, just make sure you have some Kleenex ready or, have skin of leather. :geek: I tried for months to get my straights as sharp as a cheap Gillette...to no avail. I had expensive, proven stones, compounds, leathers...on and on, spent cash...watched videos from all the honing pro's, honed with different slurry thicknesses, pressures, strops, etc, etc...still couldn't get it as sharp as a cheap Gillette, so I threw in the towel. However, I did take what sharpening experience I had with straights into kitchen knives, and I'm glad for that.

If I ran a sharpening school, my students would have to learn to sharpen straights first (up to Gillette sharpness)...then down to lesser demanding things, such as knives.

Razor guys are at the top of the sharpening food chain, imo.

+1 to Rick and Mel.

I touch knives up on an 8k til they need thinning, the edge itself doesn't change (if your using a consistent angle), so there's no need to grind a ton of metal away. Depending on how expensive the knife is and what kind of workmanship it has, tells me whether I even want to try thinning it, or if it needs to be sent to the maker to be properly thinned and restored. If your knife has no Shinogi, then thinning isn't a big deal. Plain Kurouchi knives I have no problem with thinning Japanese style.

Progression is all about what and why.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:33 pm 

Sounds like my first try, took me ages until I noticed my razor was bent.... :shock: :oops: :oops: :evil: :evil: :evil:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

desol wrote:You could shave with a straight off a 5-8k, just make sure you have some Kleenex ready or, have skin of leather. :geek: I tried for months to get my straights as sharp as a cheap Gillette...to no avail. I had expensive, proven stones, compounds, leathers...on and on, spent cash...watched videos from all the honing pro's, honed with different slurry thicknesses, pressures, strops, etc, etc...still couldn't get it as sharp as a cheap Gillette, so I threw in the towel. However, I did take what sharpening experience I had with straights into kitchen knives, and I'm glad for that.

If I ran a sharpening school, my students would have to learn to sharpen straights first (up to Gillette sharpness)...then down to lesser demanding things, such as knives.

Razor guys are at the top of the sharpening food chain, imo.

+1 to Rick and Mel.

I touch knives up on an 8k til they need thinning, the edge itself doesn't change (if your using a consistent angle), so there's no need to grind a ton of metal away. Depending on how expensive the knife is and what kind of workmanship it has, tells me whether I even want to try thinning it, or if it needs to be sent to the maker to be properly thinned and restored. If your knife has no Shinogi, then thinning isn't a big deal. Plain Kurouchi knives I have no problem with thinning Japanese style.

Progression is all about what and why.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:33 am 
Forum Moderator

AWESOME <> As LEPUS, states - we're not talking about straight razors here, and refining past 8k on hard steel kitchen cutlery is nearly always overkill.

Page 4 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4