It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:28 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Any woodworkers here?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:04 am 

Looking for suggestions from any woodworkers here for sharpening chisels (I have Irwin, Narex), plane irons (A2), etc.

What do you use? Waterstones? Guides or freehand? Strops, compounds?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Any woodworkers here?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:55 am 

I'm not a wood worker but sharpen a lot of chisels and other tools. The higher pressures and smaller grinding surface tend to wear stones quickly so Shapton or Naniwa Chosera tend to excel at sharpening such tools.

I do my sharpening freehand and will sometimes use a strop when necessary but most often I finish with just stones.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:15 pm 

I like Shaptons (1, 6, & 16k) for the woodshop. Agree with Jason's comment about the smaller grinding surface, but also, like the splash and go ability. I keep a small spray bottle of water and use a purpose built bench hook with a thick rubber drawer liner glued to it....stone rests on the drawer liner and does not move.....wood part of the bench hook has thick poly finish....hose it off when done. Also, the bottom of the bench hook that hooks on to the edge of the workbench is attached with 1 screw so that it will swivel allowing me to change the angle of the stone. This allows me to touch up a plane iron or chisel quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:54 am 

I use Shapton Pros to sharpen my chisels and strop on bare leather. I do it free hand.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]