It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:22 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kitaoka yanagiba reports
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:55 pm 

Hello all,
I was very excited to see this makers knives in left hand offered on the site. I would like to hear any owners impressions of Mr. Kitaoka's yanagbas, I'm a lefty but left or right, and any steel but especially in white #1 damascus.

Please include as many particulars as possible: fit and finish, blade road straight?, was the blade straight when you received it?, your impression of the heat treat, etc. You know, all the juicy tid bits you can think of!

I have a Funayuki coming in lefty and I must admit I am looking forward with great anticipation to seeing his work.

All you Kitaoka yanagiba owners let us hear from you!

Flash

Post subject: Re: Kitaoka yanagiba reports
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:58 am 
Site Admin

You're going to see first hand in 3 days. :)

Please come back to this thread and tell me what you think of it. We're excited to find a maker that does good work and doesn't jack the price up for left handed users. If they're popular I promise to bring in more.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:16 am 

Please report. Mark does an amazing job. Try finding a lefty yanagui at at price.

It may be the best deal at cktg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

Aaron Gibson just got one in...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

I hope he's ok with you outing him. hahahah

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

Also I'm sending all of the left handed versions to Steve for quick look videos shortly. I need to pick some more stuff for him before they ship.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

He already posted it on FaceBook, no outing him!! LOL

He did say it was nice, said edge was sickly sharp, almost on par with his finished edges. Blade road texture was a bit rough (bead blast Kasumi finish, easy to smooth out and not lose the look), but otherwise he seems to be very pleased with it!

Mark, you may want to contact Norton Abrasives about their non woven abrasive pads in green, maroon, grey and white. These are spectacular for restoring a satin finish to a blade, hiding thinning scratches and smoothing out the rougher bead blasted kasumi finishes. Would make a great product to have and very inexpensive, too!
http://www.nortonconsumer.com/non-woven ... tions.aspx The top 4, #747, 796, 748 and 456 are the ones I use, I haven't tried the coarser ones yet, but those 4 work very well!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:51 pm 

hehe yeah Tim and I chatted bout it for a min. As said the edge is nasty sharp. Almost want no sharpen it, but the blade road is rough. like 1kish. So if you were going to use it for raw fish then the drag on it would be bad. But fit and finish as on par with my tanaka. I'll have to get back to you on the highs and lows of the road as I'll probably start on it tomorrow. I'll try and post a finish pic of it as it will take me a while to get it finished.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:43 pm 

Funayuki came over the weekend. Pretty much the way Aaron described his yanagiba. Blade geometry very good. It was already sharp but of coarse put it on the stones anyway. Smoothed the blade road and put a nice kasumi finish on it. I'll know more about the steel as it is used for filleting fish.

First impressions is great entry level line. Blade is finished very well all things factored in. Should be perfect for a first yanagiba...single bevel, line knife or someone looking for a no frills performance knife. If you are looking for perfect seamless fit of handle to ferule etc., then be prepared to pay another 50-100%. And no question, this is the best bang for the buck single bevel LEFT HAND on the market. Flash

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Flash. Video knives are going to Steve tomorrow.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next