It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:27 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Replacing my Wusthof and Tojiro
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

I kinda took at stab with going with tojiro as a intro into gyuto's but find the weight and handle a bit heavy and bulky. i'm sure i can get used to it, I've had a Wustof in the past. If it were possible to get something else, is there anything you could recommend? I was looking for something that would A) replace the 10inch Mundial B) had a Wa handle C) was lighter than the tojiro D) 240 or270mm E) priced relatively around the 130ish mark. I"ve just started sharpening my own knifes on whetstones and would rather keep practicing on a lower priced knife. I would use the knife as a go to knife for the kitchen I work in where i currently work in the sushi bar as well as the hot line. I've eyed up the kaneshige stainless wa 240 as well as the goko 240mm

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Replacing my Wusthof and Tojiro
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:14 pm 

"kaneshige stainless wa 240 as well as the goko 240mm" These were the two the jumped to mind for me. The Goko is particularly thin. I have not handled the Kaneshige. The other the pops to mind is the Artifex wa: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkm24wa.html.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Goko handle is not as nice, but it will go through food better than the Kaneshige. I'd do that or Cedars suggestion. The Goko has the nicest steel of these three IMO.

I wish the Tanaka Ginsans were in stock. With a little finish work they are nice knives for the money.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:45 pm 

tanaka ginsan comes in 5$ higher, oos right now but worth the weight in cutting performance. needs a little love but has the best steel of the afformentioned and holds a good edge. grinds on them are very thin behind the edge a better cutter than my goko hammered but I hear the plain gokos are thinner so cant comment on them... the tanaka is really easy to sharpen as it has a guide built into the grind... and would give you lots of practice as they are a bit unevenly ground an easy fix and they cut like 200+++ knives

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:00 pm 

Tanaka's need a bit more polishing than the Goko does right off the bat, the handle is livable, the steel is stainless for ease of maintenance. I will say the sharpness is not up to the W#1 series OOTB. Tanaka needs some sanding around the pinch area and a definite sharpening with some tip work to be the knife they are underneath those flaws.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]