It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:05 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: kanehiro 240 alternative that is lighter
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:24 pm 

I bought a kanehiro ginsan 240 from CKTG but as soon as I used it I knew it was not the right knife for me. I should have just returned it straightaway but I thought I would give it a try. Still after just a couple of days its not right so the search continues. Once I accumulate some posts I will post this in the classified but for now I'm looking for something else.

I'm left handed. I have a tojiro 210 that I like but I want a longer knife as well as a 'different' knife. The kanehiro was different but the wrong type of knife. It will be an all purpose knife. MY knife and not for the other household members who like to use whatever is convenient to cut/chop. (won't name names)

Thanks...

Post subject: Re: kanehiro 240 alternative that is lighter
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:43 pm 

if you tell us more about what you did or didn't like about the kanehiro we can help more but if it was just the height and you liked the asthetics... the tanaka ginsan might be a good place to look, its a bit lighter and thinner at the spine... great cutter but needs some tlc ootb... and its oos right now...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:56 pm 

Sure. I loved the rustic quality but that is not essential. Height was fine. Maybe even a little lower. Must are thinner and lighter. Will look at the tanaka.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:59 pm 

Also, the edge was more geared for a right handed cutter. I'm not into reprofiling. So it has to be neutral or left grind.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:02 pm 

Since I don't know how long the edge will hold on the kanehiro as I haven't used it more than a couple times and don't plan on, I am looking for a knife that will hold an edge longer rather than shorter. Would prefer no carbon. Want to be able to chop, wash, dry, put away and not worry so much about how dry I put it away. I am also a home cook and not a commercial prep so it is not going to see the same use a a pro. (maybe that was obvious)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:22 pm 

Take a look at the Takayuki offerings.

Thinner & lighter, quality Swedish Stainless, 50/50 bevel and nice profiles.

Takayuki Grand Chef Wa-Gyuto 240mm: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/wagyuto.html

Sakai Takayuki Damascus Wa-Gyuto 240mm: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadagy240.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:43 pm 

just out of curiosity...when you do plan on putting it on the classifieds, any idea how much you'd sell it for? ^___^

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:16 pm 

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/moritaka8.html

This is a light knife

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:44 pm 

The Moritaka is a great knife but it is carbon...

xoshooter stated:

"Would prefer no carbon. Want to be able to chop, wash, dry, put away and not worry so much about how dry I put it away."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:51 pm 

My kanehiro 210 gyuto should be at my doorstep by now. Can't wait to try it out.

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next