It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:06 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Suisin Deba chipping (pictures)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:28 am 

Don't feel bad Matt, after I bought my KonoFujiBlue#2 Bunka, a fellow cook liked it so much he wanted one, so I sent him here to get it. The Blue #2 was out of stock so he got the KonoFujiWhite#2 Bunka. That was about 6 > 8 weeks ago. Just last week around April 8th or so, I heard "Show it to Bobby."
I looked up and this cook's face was extremely red. I Thought to myself ~That ain't F'n good, he must have dinged the tip.~
He hands me his bunka and I wanted to start weeping, it wasn't the tip, it was about 40mm in front of the heel. There was a nice mezzalluna taken out of the blade about 17mm long and all the way up to the cladding. "What the fuck did you do?!!!?"
He responded with "The porkbelly was still a little frozen in the center but I thought nothing of it."
I just turned and walked away I was so upset.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:43 am 
Forum Moderator

THEY JUST DON'T GET IT. :|

I tell people all the time, "I know you; you can't handle Japanese steel." And I mean it. Soft steel has it's place.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:02 am 
Forum Moderator

So we communicated and I'll be taking care of his knife. Thanks to all for the kind referrals.

Then there was a restaurant owner - and talented chef who owned an Hatori KD, which is in the $2-3 k range. One of his cooks used it to open a CAN! And of course messed it up. When he asked him why of all the knives in the kitchen he picked the Hattori KD, he said - 'Well it was the sharpest knife in the Kitchen'. Sometimes the shallow end of the gene pool just doesn't have any water left in it.

I get knives used to open orange crates (cutting through the wire), doors getting pried open and losing about 2 inches of tip, going handle first into garbage disposals, overground santokus ground only at the heel all the way through the Grantons, sushi chefs using steels on their yanagis 'a la Gordon Ramsey', even a Hankotsu that looks like an ice pick, etc etc.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:15 pm 

The Tojiro western deba goes through lobster tails like a champ and shows no edge damage. I just got a 210 mm Tojiro western deba at CKTG and used it to split 8 lobster tails for a dinner. The back of the blade is nice for whacking the tails, and the blade zips right through the underside to split them. I don't cook lobster that often, but the western deba will come out of the knife block whenever I have heavy, rough cutting jobs.
In the past, I used an old Case XXX carbon steel butcher knife for this, but the western deba works much better.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Tojiro Western Deba <--link goes through pretty much anything with aplomb. :twisted: I love mine. It's actually what I lend out in my kitchens when someone asks to borrow a knife. Bulletproof.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:52 pm 

Oh, the loaner knife. Every kit should have one.

The bad part is that my loaner knife is sharper and in better shape than many of my coworker's every day use knives. I'll never understand why so many cooks, even chefs, fail to understand how nice tools work. They don't have to break the bank.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:33 pm 

Post some pictures after your work with this one is done.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ken123 wrote:So we communicated and I'll be taking care of his knife. Thanks to all for the kind referrals.

Then there was a restaurant owner - and talented chef who owned an Hatori KD, which is in the $2-3 k range. One of his cooks used it to open a CAN! And of course messed it up. When he asked him why of all the knives in the kitchen he picked the Hattori KD, he said - 'Well it was the sharpest knife in the Kitchen'. Sometimes the shallow end of the gene pool just doesn't have any water left in it.

I get knives used to open orange crates (cutting through the wire), doors getting pried open and losing about 2 inches of tip, going handle first into garbage disposals, overground santokus ground only at the heel all the way through the Grantons, sushi chefs using steels on their yanagis 'a la Gordon Ramsey', even a Hankotsu that looks like an ice pick, etc etc.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:11 am 

Awesome wrote:Post some pictures after your work with this one is done.

I will if he doesn't, I'm excited to see Ken work his magic! :P Thanks for the knife suggestion guys. Ive been looking for a beater to bring to work, I unfortunately don't think ill be bringing my suisin deba to work anymore and if i do it won't leave my side.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:43 pm 

You did a beautiful job on fixing that deba, very impressive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've got one customer who can even trash his Western deba - He uses it as a cast iron pan scraper, cuts on metal countertops and tries to hack through cow leg bones, etc. I've taken chips out of it several times. He eats gyutos for breakfast. I absolutely LOVE that Tojiro WD. I think Everyone should have one. If I already didn't have both sizes, I'd pick that one up on CKTG that's a second right away. The steel is better than the CCK steel and short of splitting beef or lamb bones, it will go through everything else in the kitchen. Don't take full swings with this on a cutting board or you can split a board with it. I know someone out there will do this - not naming names LOL.

I even use these WDs in the garden to trim branches.

It's a good loaner knife, but my favorite beater knife is a solid stainless cleaver from a Chinese grocery store - indestructible, doesn't take a great edge. The perfect answer to 'Can I help you in the kitchen?' It even doubles as a board scraper, doorstop or wedge to level an uneven stool. Cost me $5 - probably $10 or $15 by now. Also works as a good cheese knife too.

---
Ken

Page 3 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next