It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:17 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: First J knife
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:59 pm 

Sakai Takayuki hammered damascus, 240mm. Bought on a whim on vacation in Japan. I still use it a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:41 pm 

My first was a moritaka honesuki. A different world from my victorinox butcher knives. A kono hd gyuto soon followed for the kitchen.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:31 pm 

Im surprised I'm not reading more "Shun" responses. Mine was a 8 inch Shun classic- I guess that counts. I was actually in a william sonoma the other day and played around with a couple of shuns… some of the new ones are actually ground really nice and are nice and thin. Yikes I can't believe Im saying that.
On a side note, i always find it really funny when the middle aged women at william sonatas talk to me like a dummy brag gin about how good the globals and shuns are…. "they're really sharp…" Ohhhh if they only knew what was out there hahaha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

I don't know if this counts - but it was a Calphalon Katana 6" Chef's knife. These have heavy handles, but they're quite thin at the edge & are good performers. I have since given it to someone who uses it a lot and appreciates the performance.

My first knife from Mark was the Artifex AEB-L 210 Gyuto.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:13 am 

Global G2. I believe my first wa handled knife was a Konosuke HD though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:46 pm 

Mine was the 10 pc Shun classic set. They were an eye opener, as to what could be.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:48 pm 

coachnj wrote:So I'm wondering what was your "gateway" knife into the land of J knives.

I had plenty of knives to cook with and they all worked well for me. They included a couple Henckels, Wustofs, and other assorted knives (many of the small knives were from Marshalls). I was really into pocket knives and then got hooked on kitchen cutlery. My first J knife was off Amazon and her it is:

A SETO petty! Damascus, VG-10.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBT ... UTF8&psc=1

By this time I knew how to sharped from stones and this thing did scream when sharpened. I remember not liking the lack of space under the choil but otherwise really liked it. It's been in a box (I think the Masakage Shimo petty box) in the cabinet for awhile but it got me hooked. So that started me off and now I'm half a dozen J knives in and there are a lot of future knives in my bookmarks.

What was your first "drug" of choice?

Not my first J knife, but I also have this Seto Petty. My wife uses it quite a bit, she really likes it. We have had it almost a year know, I have only had to touch it up twice. Sharpens real easy on the stones. I usually just have to use my DMT fine and extra fine diamond stone, and a quick strop on balsa and leather.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:11 pm 

240 Mac Pro, first wa was Richmond artifex

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:15 am 

Shun classic 10 inch chefs knife about 8 yrs ago before i knew any better :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:49 pm 

Global.

I found a guy named Mel on the street that said it is the best thing since sliced bread and he gave me his. My attempt at humor.

My first j knife was a global given to me as a gift.

El

Page 3 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next