It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:35 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Knife Roll, or, What to Bring on a Stage
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:15 pm 

You could bring a boning knife also, I've never needed it until maybe day 5 or 6 of a stage though.

Just remember that you will most likely be doing the most menial tasks you can imagine the first day or two until you earn their trust then they might start throwing more complex stuff at you.

Where are you staging, might I ask?

I didn't post my EDK (every day kit, stole that term from my goruck friends who always talk about their every day carries). My kit consists of this for work:

240 masamoto gyuto
210 nenox gyuto (for when there are 3 of us working 5 stations, I just leave it on a blank station)
270 masamoto carbon suji
240 nenox suji
25 or 35mm misono moly parer (conicidentally the only paring knife I've found this short)
global flexible boning knife
300 mm masamoto wht steel suji
180 mm minamoto-kanemasa deba

Peeler
Microplane
Fish Spat
Mandoline
Melon Baller
Fish tweezers
kitchen sheers
corer
varied spoons
small offset and straight spats
tweezers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:16 pm 

Anything as long as its organized and clean.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:07 pm 

I'm staging this Thursday at a country club. I'm taking my 18 slot bag just because I don't have another way to carry things. I will probably wrap myknifer lockered Artifex Sab in an apron and take it in with the paring knife and peeler. Everything else can stay in the Jeep.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:34 pm 

Nowhere specific. I'm about to start hitting up a few tiny local joints. My current job has been great in terms of compensation and learning volume and the chef is incredibly credentialed and skilled, but there's not enough attention to the individual plate.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:22 am 

I agree with everyone saying to bring a little less. I've never done a stage where I needed more than a Gyuto, but I always bring a peeler and paring knife along too. Another one I started bringing recently (and just using in general) is a bowl scraper for shoveling ingredients around and off my board and cleaning up. It saves your towels and is much cleaner in general, you can just keep it in your back pocket for the stage. And I think one good reason not to bring your whole kit is sometimes it's not clear where is the best place to store it in a new kitchen, you also might be asked to move from place to place and it'll be easier to pick up those few things. Also, I always read this blog post before a stage: http://linecook415.blogspot.com/2010/03 ... guide.html and he touches a little bit on the "less is more" for a stage.. That blog is great in general for pro cooks BTW. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:35 am 

Nothing I want more from a stage doing my misen is having it scraped into the container by a bowl scraper covered in butt sweat. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:53 am 

Nbles wrote:Nothing I want more from a stage doing my misen is having it scraped into the container by a bowl scraper covered in butt sweat. :)

But it is in the same pocket as my peeler, cut glove and sharpie!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:28 am 
Forum Moderator

I'll give ISIT, the benefit of the doubt that he is referencing it's flexible nature allows you to transport it in your pocket... to be washed before use.. and not stored there through service. I hope.

Side note: I have preached the usage of a bench knife for years to cooks, chefs, and this Forum. They save edges, they tidy your board, they cut doughs - portion gnocchi, they transfer food neatly, you can use them plating, they work as length reference measure, etc., etc., etc. I've even suggested to CKTG that they offer one, but it fell on deaf ears. It is an essential, for me... at least.

I'm righty, and fit mine conspicuously at the top right of my board... slid underneath.. for quick draw & return. Look closely, and you can see it here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:57 am 

I've been using bench scrapes since Alton Brown explained how dumb it is to scrape with a knife. I forget to mention it because I would never, ever not carry it. Sharpie, pen, thermometer, crumber, pocket knife, scrape... they're obligatory.

It's the first piece of equipment I truly broke. I snapped off a good 5cm chunk of the plastic handle of the one I used for baking class. Going without until I could replace it was like missing an arm.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:42 pm 

I use the same one all the time. Easy to clean and nests nicely on/under a board. I'd say it was the best $8 or $9 I ever spent.

Page 2 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next