It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:27 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: sharpening during Sashimi cutting marathons
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:11 am 

Another new subject for me.
I have ordered and will be ordering more knives from CKtG as Mark and members of this board have been great in helping out. I am looking into a dedicated Sashimi knife on the knife question section of this board and now I would very much like to find out what is the best way to quickly do a fine re-sharpen on a knife such as a the Konosuke HH Wa-Suji or similar knife which only dull due to excessive cutting on the board and thru the flesh of the fish during hours of cutting. I have used Steel and ceramic hones previously between cuts on my German steel to re-align rolled edges from the cutting board or ?? but I am getting the idea the hone is just not a great way to go on Japanese steel or perhaps even German Steel. I am new to Japanese steel and want to purchase the right product and tools to maximize the wonderful knives I am purchasing. I am also willing to take time and learn how to use the tools correctly. Thank you for any help you can provide. I have not purchased knives in about a decade or more so this is all new to me.

Of course, I will next be asking questions on the Edge-pro section of this site.

Jamie

Post subject: Re: sharpening during Sashimi cutting marathons
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:32 pm 

Well my first question is what are you currently using and/or planning on purchasing to sharpen the knife. Not just for touchups but for a full proper sharpening.

I wouldn't recommend steeling either of those knives , with ceramic or other.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:03 pm 

I figured I would purchase an edge pro with the Shapton glass stones. Mark has the essential kit which looks good.
I am thinking of stropping as well but am open for suggestions. I would prefer to not set up the kit when I travel but I will do works. Previously I had my German knives professionally sharpened and then used the hone at home or on the road. I have to admit I also have one of the Chef's choice electric sharpener but it has not seen use in years. I had no idea places like Sur La Table uses these electrics but I really never researched it until now. But then again I was never as excited about knives as I am now. Must be puberty

Jamie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:06 am 

A ceramic rod would work best for quick touchups during a job for both German and Japanese steels. The glass stones remove metal quickly for shorter sharpening sessions. If you're still having poor results after a complete sharpening, it may be due to honing technique. I don't know your current method but the motion should be smooth, light passes held at a consistent angle. Let the abrasives in the rod do the work. If the edges are actually rolled the knife needs to be tuned up with a sharpening and properly de-burred. A fresh, clean edge will eliminate the bevel and sharpness issues.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:02 am 
Forum Moderator

JAMIE <> A 3x8 strop <--link is a quick effective easy way in your station on all steel. For your balsa... <--link

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:59 am 

Melampus wrote:JAMIE <> A 3x8 strop <--link is a quick effective easy way in your station on all steel. For your balsa... <--link

I understand CKtG will be coming out with some stropping sets again. I am waiting as It sounds like a good way to go.

Jamie

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]