It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:25 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you using to sharpen your straight razors
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:16 pm 

Mel have you tried skipping the diamond spray? should give you a smoother shaving edge.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:25 pm 

Chris,

Do you still have the Zulu grey finisher? Have found the Ozuku finish preferable, or are you still experimenting with several and now happen to be using the Ozuku?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:38 pm 

Luca,

No I do not. I actually sold it to raise the money for the ozuku (that and one of my thuringians). I wish I still had it though...I'm really interested in trying a nagura progression on the ZG. That stone was so friggin hard and dense!!! I still have the larger of my thuringians but its rapidly collecting dust. I am really satisfied with the ozuku and the sharp smooth edges it produces.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:02 pm 

Did you find it as fine of a finisher as the ozuku? I know that's kind of a dumb question when you get into natural stones this fine, but I've come to enjoy the stones more than the razors and am always looking for a nice compare and contrast.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:44 pm 

in my opinion, no. I did get good smooth edges off the zg but I think all it did was refine the already sharp edge (i know thats what its supposed to do...its hard to describe). I also believe that I may have gotten better results with water only, but I always left a very light slurry. With the ozuku, I feel that the edge is sharper and just as smooth. I thought the ZG was far too slow. I also had 'skipping' issues when I first got it. I roughed up the surface slightly with a DMT1200 to make it not so shiny. That made a huge difference. I just never really got a good feeling for the stone for whatever reason. I'm positive that the problem was on my end not the stone :) Once I got a thuri, I had no desire to use the ZG anymore. Thuringians have a silky feel while honing and also deliver a great edge.

Regardless, I love the ozuku and enjoy every minute using it!

Sorry for the rambling answer lol!

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:01 am 

Awesome man. Thanks for the description. I stop on a nakayama asagi and I'm a big big fan. I have an ozuku, but it's an edge pro size, which just doesn't suit my honing style. I'd say the nakayama is very similar, maybe a bit harder (real hard to work up a good mud), but not much. Awesome shaving edges off mine.

I actually like the edges off my welsh stones more than most people seem to, but the Japanese naturals are an undeniable improvement. For some reason my Torrey seems to take to that purple welsh better than the Japanese naturals. No explanation for it, and not true of any of the other razors I've honed.

I love me some natural stones.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:13 am 

Shapton Pro through 30k, then CrO on balsa and finish on plain kangaroo.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:09 am 

I'm new to straight razor shaving. I have used Shapton GS in 320, 1k, 2k, 4k, and 8k. After the stones I strop on my home made strop. It is 4 pieces of thin suede leather on a 2x2. I coat it with 1,3,4, and 5 buffing compounds from Lowes. I only use the 4 and 5 compounds for most of my work. I have no complaints.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:01 am 

Stephen Corley wrote:I'm new to straight razor shaving. I have used Shapton GS in 320, 1k, 2k, 4k, and 8k. After the stones I strop on my home made strop. It is 4 pieces of thin suede leather on a 2x2. I coat it with 1,3,4, and 5 buffing compounds from Lowes. I only use the 4 and 5 compounds for most of my work. I have no complaints.

That sounds pretty ingenious! I would think the 320 a little aggressive but thats what this game is all about! Everyone trying their own thing! Congrats on finding your own setup!!

Chris

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:26 am 

I know this is a bit of a dead thread, but I wanna play too...

I am a novice on good days so FWIW, 1k and 2k Nubatama Ume Speckled, 4K King Ice Bear (this has been replaced as of 3 weeks ago with a Shapton Glass 4k, but I have not used it in this progression yet), 8k Naniwa SS, 15k Shapton Pro, 1u and .5u on balsa.

Page 2 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next