Hi, Thanks everyone for all the great help so far, this forum has been a great resource on my sharpening journey
I want to get a gift for my Dad. He makes his own Gravlax and could use a a screaming sharp knife to slice it up. however, he only does it a few times a year so perhaps a dedicated Yanagi would be overkill. Also he's left handed, don't see many left handed Yanagi...
Would a sujihiki be acceptable? The pros being there are a lot more available to choose from and he'd get more use out of it carving other things.
He currently has mostly german steel knives along with a some american carbon/Global/kyocera ceramic to round it out.
1. Are you right handed? He's Left handed
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) Yanagi or Sujihiki need guidence
3. What size knife are you looking for? ~270
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? Stainless
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? Japanese preferred
6. How much did you want to spend? ~$200
7. Do you know how to sharpen? I can sharpen it for him