It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:16 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: chosera stones
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:04 am 

the chosera stones come with a second stone that is square and about 2 inches by 2 inches. Is it to flatten the main stone?

It seems people are using other things to flatten their stones. Larger thinner flatter stones. what are they?

thanks!

cooldays

Post subject: Re: chosera stones
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:11 am 

I use a DMT Extra Course diamond plate. You can get an Extra-Extra course which works faster but is a little more expensive.
Here is the link to the plates on the CKTG website
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dmt1.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:24 am 

to add to your post, the 2x2 is a nagura. it is used to build a slurry or "mud" on the stone to "speed" up the cutting power of the stone

Drew Hostetler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:29 am 

cooldays wrote:the chosera stones come with a second stone that is square and about 2 inches by 2 inches. Is it to flatten the main stone?

It seems people are using other things to flatten their stones. Larger thinner flatter stones. what are they?

thanks!

cooldays

That small stone is a nagura, used to clean the main stone of embedded metal particles or to raise a slurry if you want to start sharpening with a suspension of abrasive particles, which some people prefer to starting with plain water.

Naguras are not used for flattening. A DMT or Atoma diamond plate, wet/dry sandpaper on a flat surface, a metal flattening plate with abrasive powder or one of the many flattening stones are used for that purpose.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:25 am 

Nothing to add to Rick's post, besides that it's a 600 grit that may be very helpful with large thinning tasks as a huge fingerstone: move the stone instead of the knife.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:40 am 

is there a single dmt stone or diamond stone that will work to smooth most stones. For example, is it ok and will you not hurt a 5000 stone with the same flattenr you use for a 400?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:52 pm 

cooldays, I currently use the DMT X Course on all of my stones with no issue.

Drew Hostetler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

We sell a couple flatteners. DMT makes a good one: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dmtextracoarse.html

We also sell this similar but slightly smaller 140 grit diamond flattener.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/140grdistflp.html

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:12 pm 

The DMT extra coarse is great. I flatten my stones with it. I have heard the XX- coarse is great too. I just was willing to save the extra money and use a little more elbow grease on flattening. Mark has a flattening video on the CKTG website.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:33 am 
Forum Moderator

THe Atoma 140 and DMT XXC are the most versatile flatteners. While they work on finer stones too, they leave a rough finish. I prefer to use a finer plate on stones above 5k like the Atoma 1200, with the DMT fine and XF having too much stiction.

The stone accompanying the Chocera stones is mistakenly called a Nagura stone. It is NOT a Nagura stone. It isn't a synthetic nagura stone. You do NOT want to create a slurry with this stone as you will get just a mix of 600 grit and whatever the stone you are using it on. So a 600 grit and 10k grit for instance gives you an unusable 10k slurry contaminated with 600 grit. At best it is a cleaning stone used to remove metal swarf stuck on a stone. It is actually a 600 grit stone very similar to a King stone. You can use it as a sharpening stone if you like to suffer. As a cleaning stone it is redundant if you have a diamond plate available. So in short it is close to useless.

These near useless cleaner stones in no way reflect that the Choceras themselves are good stones.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next