It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:19 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Crankin them out!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

Got to work on some stuff today. First one is a Misono UX10 that someone contacted Mark to see if he knew anyone who could fix/replace his handle. I guess something hit the box VERY hard and managed to dent the Pakkawood, as well as crack it! That's a pretty hard hit!! Mark got us in contact (Thanks Mark!!) and I emailed the guy what his choices were in terms of materials, colors, etc, starting from basic black Dymondwood or Black Paper Micarta and going up to the Burls and Laminates. Customer decided on White Micarta (Ivory Paper Micarta). I had some on hand, so I built it up with Stainless Pins and the White Micarta.

Since the handle is White Paper Micarta, there is not texture, grain, different layers visible or anything. It's a pain to work with because as you sand the handle/pins/bolster to get them nice and smooth, the dust gets brought back over the handle and rubbed in a bit. After each grit, you have to wipe down and clean up the handle. I went to 400 grit by hand and switched to the Micro Mesh. 1800, 2400, 3200, 3600, and 4000 and it has a nice, silky smooth feeling but still has some traction when the handle is wet. The handle doesn't have anything fancy to show, but it feels awesome in the hand! I was kinda excited to do this one since I have never played with a Misono UX10 before, but I knew that they were one of the top end J knives in terms of fit and finish! This one was no exception, but I think I managed to bring it up to a new level by taking some time with it!

Next one up is a Hiro AS 210 for Mark, looks like Maple Burl?? I used 2, 1/8" Copper pins and a larger 1/4" Mosaic pin in the middle; I kinda like this look! The wood has some REALLY nice figure to it; some flame, eyes, etc!

Both together:

I have a 240 Hiro AS to do for Mark that I will start up today and hopefully finish up tonight if the weather stays somewhat cool! It's going to have a darker piece of wood, again looks like Maple Burl that I used on the first two I did for Mark. Also going to have the Copper pins and Mosaic in the middle!

Post subject: Re: Crankin them out!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

Looking good man. Jmbullman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:51 pm 

the misono looks awesome! my co worker has the same knife but that handle is something else

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

I kinda made a break through today :) Bolsters no longer scare me! I ordered up 2x30 belts for my 1x30 custom sander; it has a small wheel 2" wide and was originally a 3" wide wet belt sander in it's first life before I got a hold of it. By using the 2" belt, the belts track much better and don't wander as much. I knocked out 4 knives with bolsters today and the bolster/handle intersection is the cleanest I've ever gotten them! With the 2" wide belts, I can shape the handle and bolster at the same time all the way up to 240 grit (the highest I have right now in the 2" wide belts) and then go to the Scotchbrite 1x30" belt to clean up the bolster area. The 1" wide belts used to dig into the handle material pretty badly on the edge of the belt and also squirm around on the contact wheel. The wider belts don't do that and I have more belt to work with. Between 9am and 430pm today, I knocked out 4 knives with bolsters. That included over an hour and a half for lunch/grocery shopping and also epoxy curing time! 2 of the knives had the handles already glued, but the other 2 I did all the way up from bare tang for one and having to remove the old handles on the other. So basically 4 knives in around 6 hours! I took each one of these up to 4000 grit Micro Mesh sandpaper and then all but the Micarta are getting a few coats of Tru Oil rubbed in.

I was surprised at the Misono. Just the white handle really makes it stand out. No burl, no fancy pins, but it just looks really nice and clean! The Micarta feels very silky in the hand, but not slippery.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

240mm Hiro AS, Brown Maple Burl:

Both Hiromoto AS:

Kanetsune 210mm SS/AS gyuto. Blue Box Elder Burl handle, copper pins. I figured since it is Blue Super steel, it needed a super blue handle! This blade is sweet; very very thin and the exposed AS steel goes pretty far up the blade! The bolster was almost completely hollow and is a ton lighter weightwise than the Hiromoto AS, which uses a similar construction. The Hiromoto's have a much much wavy/active lamination line, where the Kanetsune is straighter. This knife is mine, I got the last one that CKTG had :) Going to hit the stones tonight!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:24 am 
Forum Moderator

The Hiro's went out to Mark on Monday, should be there on Thurs!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:26 pm 

im still in awe about the misonos!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:13 am 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I think I am going to have to order more of this Micarta :) I have some blocks of it to use as ferrule or the end portion of a Wa style handle :) I was going to do a Black Micarta Ferrule/White Micarta body and White Ferrule/Black body on a Wa style knife eventually. Kinda like a Ying/Yang theme.

I've been using the Blue Burl Kanetsune over the past several days. It's got a sweeeeeet bluish/purple patina going on the exposed AS steel, but I can't get a good pic of it :( The blade is stupidly thin and has been going thru everything so cleanly.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]