It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:52 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Product Testing - Playin' with Knives
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:20 am 
Forum Moderator

Ok, I asked Mark to send a Takamura R-2 210 Gyuto to compare to the Kohetsu HAP40 210. Man, does this thing blow through product with little effort! Super sharp OOTB edge. Goes through onions even better than the Kohetsu Blue #2 Gyuto. I'll do a comparison video between the Takamura and the HAP40.

The Masakage Kiri 240 Gyuto is VERY nice - a great all around performer.

The Kohetsu Blue #2 is a ton of performance and great steel for $99.

It's just silly how many great knives Mark has brought in over the past year, not to mention the perennial mainstays of the CKTG lineup.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:47 am 

Which one you referring to Steve with regards to blowing through product? The Takamura or Hap40?

Yeah the hap40 and the takamura are super close it seems, and perfect for your comparison video.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:56 am 

Thanks for the info Steve...Now quit the boozing and try the Kujira...Do you have one to try? It seems kind of stupid to me to call something a Belgian Trippel and a Wit Beer...That sounds like a recipe for goodness...

If you haven't already try the Westmalle Tripel. These so called Belgian style beers made in the USA rarely approach the complexity of the Belgian beers. I think it has a lot to do the well water and of course the secret cultures of yeast. I just can't understand why Americans get hoodwinked drinking mass produced American style belgian beers when for about the same price or maybe a buck or two more could be drinking the real thing.

But beer is off topic...does the Kujira reside in your grasp? If so what are you waiting for...cut something.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:12 pm 

rayong wrote: Which one you referring to Steve with regards to blowing through product? The Takamura or Hap40?

I'll bet it was the Takamura 210. I have one and it is just crazy how it goes through veggies like they were air. Sharp, sharp, sharp out of the box and holds the edge forever. Easily my favorite knife. I giggle when I use it, it's so slick.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:58 pm 

My only complaint about the Takamaru is it's a little too short. BUT my GF loves it so.. win.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:05 am 

To get up to the 46 and above you'll need to look at kohetsu or richmond laser. But takamura, the kohetsu hap40 or Blue #2 210 are all around low 45 or below.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:58 am 
Forum Moderator

Yes, I'm talking about the Takamura R-2. I'll show it in the video, but the handle/bolster is definitely slimmer on the Takamura, which effectively makes it seem just a bit taller than it's ~45mm height. If you have large hands the HAP40 has a more substantial handle/bolster and an overall slightly heavier feel. The Takemura feels more nimble and thin - because it is :-), but it's a little more flexible blade than the HAP40. Compromises, compromises ;-). If they ever roll out a Takemura R-2 240 Gyuto, it might just be "watch out Kikuichi TKC" :-).

Umberto - Westmalle Tripel is wonderful, as is Tripel Karmeliet and lest we forget Brasserie Rochefort Trappistes 6, 8 & 10. So many great Belgian beer styles and beers.

Ah, the Masakage Kujira - I had to at least take it for a very short test drive. A couple of large onions and a couple smaller sweet potatoes. I was rewarded with testing a VERY nice performing knife. It's a departure from everything else from Masakage that we've seen through CKTG - in a good way. The Kujira is a very intriguing knife line - I'll leave it at that for now. Stay tuned for the Quick Look video :-).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:36 pm 

SteveG:
Blue #2 quickly becoming my favorite steel. Few minutes on the stones and I'm ready to go. When will the next batch of videos be up Steve? I gotz me beer ready. I just purchased 3 new knives & a stone from Mark last week, looking to spend some more. It's a horrible addiction...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

Typing up the spec sheets now and shooting some later this afternoon. I'll finish more product testing and shooting Sunday and see if I can get them to Mark Sunday evening.

Yes, the Kohetsu B#2 and the Gassan's seem to get really sharp, really fast.

Your videos keep getting better and better. Nice job - I know how much work all those shot setups and the subsequent editing can be.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:38 am 

SteveG <> Thanks you so much for taking the time to do this.

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2