It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:48 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 8 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Spyderco EDC Recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:36 pm 

OK, for you EDC guys out there I need a little help. I'd like to get a good bang for your buck Spyderco. Not looking for the best of the best but not junk, it will be my first. Want to get something of decent quality for everyday stuff like cutting cardboard, small rope/twine, no crazy heavy duty stuff. Would like it to be stainless and preferably >$100.

Post subject: Re: Spyderco EDC Recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:45 pm 

Delica 4. It is what I carry. VG-10, not too big, not too small. haha. Check it out, see what you think. I also hear the Enduro(a?) is good.
I have daily carried it for a year with moderate use on cardboard and plastic with the occasional abuse on aluminum packets and other stuff, holds up great. Doesn't really need attention too much, stays sharp and is stainless.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:21 am 

I have a delica 4 also. I have zdp-189. I think I got it for approx $85. It's a nice size to put in your pocket. It's not real big, but it isn't dinky either. I'm not unhappy with it at all.

I should re-phrase that. I bought this one for my wife. She Carries it when she helps on the farm. I have only carried it myself a few times when I left mine on the counter. ;)

I'm sure rook will give you a run down on pros and cons of different ones. I've only had this one and I had an endura quite a few years ago. I like this delica better.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:49 am 

Finally a topic where I can contriute like an expert! I've had more than a couple dozen Spydies in all different flavors. I'm down to a "not quite a hoarder" 10 or so.
The Delica and the Endura are great options. They both come in many different flavors in steels and handles so you can shop around. Here are some more ideas that I like better and are in your price range (I assume you meant <100 not >100).
You can get the following in a lot of different steels so you'll have to look at the options. All of these are around 3 in blades.
Native in s30v. "smaller" knife but fits in the hand like a glove (I think better than the Delica) s30v is far superior to vg-10.
Caly 3 (or 3.5) thin and one of their classics.
Sage 1 carbon fiber scales, s30v steel. This is one of the perfect edc knives. It's beautiful and in my rotation. Fit's in hand beautifully.
Chaparral - smaller version of Sage 1.
Salt 1 - like a delica but in H1 which is rust "proof"
Dragonfly - this could be the perfect knife for edc. It's small but can cover every cutting chore you will throw at it. Lightweight, and you can get it in ZDP-189 way in your price range. Look at this one.

I'll think of some others while I make dinner. Let me know if you have any questions because I am a Spyderco fan (nut). I've seen or had most of their pocket knives and love talking about them. I can give some anecdotal references too.

Coach

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:58 am 

Your right Coach, I meant <$100 but my dyslexia kicked in! :oops: Keep the thoughts and ideas coming.
Thanks Dan and Red for jumping in and helping too. All ideas appreciated.

This knife will be out in the elements at times, if it matters. That's why I'm looking at stainless.
This is one area of knives where I know little to nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:16 am 

Eating dinner and it hit me!

If you want the ultimate in cutting performance in EDC, with stainless steel and great feel, it has to be the Stretch in ZDP. You can get one "around" 100. If not the VG-10 is great too. The stretch has a great blade to handle ratio, is a bigger knife (not as big as the Endura) but still fits in the hand great and cuts like a laser. It's still lightweight with the FRN handle and is easy to clean out. Definitely check it out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:18 am 

A good choice in that price range may include a Manix2. You can find these in the s30v flavor, hollow or flat ground in the $100 ballpark. Super grippy and multiple comfortable hand positions.

The Tenacious is another good choice. To me, the size is good for edc and can get all your tasks done easily. It's more of an entry level Spyderco, but at less than $50, it is a fantastic deal.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:21 am 

I have a Spyderco Enduro4 vg-10 and it's very nice knife, but for me it's an awfully big pocket knife. It sits in my handgun safe. What I use very, very often (as in at least weekly) is my Benchmade Mel Pardue in D2 steel. Mine is olive with black blade and partially serrated for cutting rope etc. What I like about it is it's small and fits great in my front pocket when I carry it without taking up the entire pocket. It's about 50% over your stated budget, but I've sharpened it once recently the past few years and it came back screaming sharp. For me, it's about convenience, doing its job well when called upon and not regular workhorse type duty.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:29 am 

I agree that the Endura is a little too big for EDC for most people. It's heavy too.
The Manix 2 is another "big" knife but it's a LOT lighter than the Endura and it has an "Axis" like locking mechanism which I really like.
Jeff, do you have a locking preference?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:48 am 

The only Spydercos I have are two PM2s. The 'all black' is pristine and unused, and the digicam/satin has been honed to 'mirror' bevel perfection thanks to my Edgepro/Shapton Glass from CKTG. I love it around my garden, but it's just a bit big for EDC. For that, I'm happy with a Leek so far, and if all my savings weren't going on kitchen knives, I may well be looking at a Delica - or even an H1 Pacific or Atlantic.

Page 1 of 8 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next