It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:49 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Knives with no handles restock?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:04 am 

dang tempting indeed!!! lovin the idea of an AS kono Fuji as well??? decisions decisions....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:35 am 

I'm wondering if any of those Damascus knives are stainless clad—long shot, I know, but I'm also interested in a Ginsan for similar reasons...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:50 pm 

Mark (or anyone else): Do we know the HRC on the Kono Blue #1 blades? Tosho sells these at an extremely high HRC (65-66), and I'm wondering if the batch you received is like those, or if it is closer to your usual request of 60-62 from Kono.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

They're HRC 61-62. We sold a bunch of them so far. Looks like Tim and Matt are going to be busy. :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:55 pm 

Damascus 240 didn't last long... I shouldn't have hesitated :o

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:29 am 

sorry Mark, ya know what they say...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:48 am 
Forum Moderator

Man, sucks that I am broke when Mark gets these in! Bought 2 pistols, a new compound bow and lots of ammo and holsters in the past 2 months...$4500 on the credit card in 1 month...oops....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:03 am 

mark wrote:Damascus 240 didn't last long... I shouldn't have hesitated :o
Yep, I know better... I had already ordered the one I really wanted and should have pulled the trigger on the Damascus as well. Guess I will just have to find something else I "need" ;)

My blue#1 just arrived today :mrgreen: Image

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:25 am 

Mark, nice pics of the blade. I snagged one of the 240s also before they were sold out and is on the way to me.At the price this is the " Deal of the year " You are going to love the knife. I have White 2 Fuji that is one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:17 pm 

Congrats, Mark. Is that a 210? Are you going to make your own handle or send it out? I also grabbed a 240 blue #1, although my order hasn't been confirmed and I know they sold out around the same time :? I'm hoping Mark can have someone put on a classic rosewood/ebody or rosewood/pakka handle for me, assuming it isn't too custom as too be extra pricey... :D

I'm also curious to see what gets posted in the coming days. I've been shopping/agonizing over a new knife for weeks now, with lots of help from this forum. Looks like the final decision was made based on impulse/price more than anything! I guess if I don't like it, someone else may be interested in the classifieds...it appears there is still demand. :)

I'm also hoping that the blue #1 looks and performs like the blue #2 and AS that so many people love. I'm curious if anyone has experience with blue #1. I figure that, for me, it will have nothing to do with sharpness or sharpening (I'm a home cook—I wouldn't be able to eek out a noticeable difference myself, although I'm sure I'll notice the advantages of the grind and geometry above my regular Konos), but I am curious if it is more prone to chipping or corrosion, since it is more pure. I was relieved to see it wasn't taken too high on the hardness scale, which should at least help with the chipping!

I guess the big thank-you goes out to Mark R: while I'm sure the ebony handles add considerably to the cost, it also seems like these were priced to sell for our benefit and the benefit of his "handlers" (pun intended).

Page 3 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next