It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:21 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Ziricote/Cocobolo woods
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:08 am 
Forum Moderator

Unfortunetly, I am going to have to put a hold on Cocobolo and Ziricote as handle materials. They are two of my favorite woods, but lately, I have been having an allergic reaction to working with them. It used to be I would just have a slight itch behind the ears for a day when I worked with these woods; I worked with Ziricote this past Tues and my face is still feeling itchy Thurs night. Benadryl is helping, but when it wears off, I can feel the itchies coming back. I have to relook at my procedures for these woods (and see if Rosewood has the same reaction to me as well) and see what I can do to prevent this in the future. May have to go to a full mask respirator and log sleeves or something.

Post subject: Re: Ziricote/Cocobolo woods
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:24 am 

I have seen or read about this. Do you know if it is something that is always there or do you acquire it over time?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:33 am 

That reaction to Cocobolo is quite common. Full face respirator, sleeves, gloves the work. Take care of yourself! :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:39 am 
Forum Moderator

Some people are allergic immediately, others develop the allergy over time. I used to not have any issues with the woods, but as I started to use the woods more, I noticed the slight itches and now it is to the point that it is very noticeable and doesn't go away as quickly as it used to.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:04 pm 

Interesting. Learn something new everyday. Sorry to hear about the troubles, but thanks for sharing. I will keep this in mind once I get my space setup in Colorado to try and start doing handles and sayas for my knives.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:09 pm 

Damn Tim, of coarse I have a piece of Cocobolo I was going to send you to put on a knife. Guess I'll talk to Randy and let him do it. I do have a couple others to send you as soon as things settle down a little. Been crazy around here the past few weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:27 pm 

It may get worse as you become more sensitized.

Have a care, and if possible, talk to an allergist about it.

Phone up Yale Medical, or UConn in Farmington and explain your problem.

I can't imagine one of the guys wouldn't talk to you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:24 am 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I have a full face shield respirator and head covering thingy on order, see how that goes. It's mostly behind the ears that itches, but the last time, it went to my face, but I did do some quick sanding w/o the respirator, so I may have gotten too big of a dose.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:19 am 

I do not spend a fraction of the time you do with these materials, but I made a magnetic knife rack with some Brazilian Ironwood that left me pretty itchy. I've got more of the stuff laying around, but I am not sure how much more I want to work with it.

Good luck...not fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:32 am 

Tree allergens are particularly acute. Many people are allergic to various types of trees, but b/c the pollen and/or oil in the wood that causes the allergy is often experienced at very low levels of concentration, most won't even notice. Working in a closed environment, with high levels of allergic wood particulates in the air will def. do the trick. Basically, you would either need to install some kind of ventilation system or do the work on those woods outside.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next