It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:26 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Comparing Konosuke 240mm gyuto's
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:07 pm 

I noticed that on the CKTG site that the Wa version is slightly thinner at the spine (starting from the heel)...http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdwa24.html...than the version with the western handle (believe the listed thickness was 2.3mm?). Are Wa-handled versions of knives typically thinnner? Or is this just with Konosuke 240mm gyuto's?

Post subject: Re: Comparing Konosuke 240mm gyuto's
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:53 am 
Forum Moderator

BDD <> Think a moment about the anatomy of a western gripped knife as to its wa-gripped counterpart.  The VAST majority of western gripped knifes' blades meet the handle via a bolstered tang whereas its counterpart's tang has no bolster and enters into the wa-handle.  On the former, the blade has to transition from the full width of the bolster/grip junction down to a flat blade.  By design, I can't see how they wouldn't all be slightly thicker... than wa-lasers that is.  I haven't compared & contrasted the statistics, but by design... you can extrapolate such.

Hope that helps... :|

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:03 am 

Being that Kono's ZDP-189 steel Wa-handled 240mm is wider than both HD 240mm knives (Western/Wa)...then it's obvious that the Wa versions aren't automatically thinner at the heel of their spines. And, if we look at the stainless HH 240mm knives we'll see that it varies even within the same series. So, in the end, I think it's up to the smith.

When I posted I just wanted to know if CKTG didn't list the wrong stats. I guess not.

It's interesting the Wa 240mm version from the HD series has the slimmest spine. So if we go by CKTG's listed specs then the Wa version from the HD series is the way to go...if you have to have a Kono 240mm gyuto with the best geometry. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:29 am 
Forum Moderator

BDD <> For sure, Wa's aren't always thinner than their Western gripped counterparts, but as I said, Wa-"lasers" are almost always.

I'm sorry I hadn't realized you were asking if Mark posted the wrong stats. I thought you had asked, "Are Wa-handled versions of knives typically thinner?".

Regarding your last comment... you totally lost me. "Best" is a subjective term, and I don't see the parallel between blade thickness & overall geometry. But there is much I dont understand... 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

BDD <> I've been thinking about this trying to understand, and if, in fact, you feel the "best geometry" is achieved by having a slim spine, take a gander at the Suisin Inox 240 Wa-Gyuto. There are maybe thinner, but they are the thinnest knives I have used...

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suinhowa24.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:34 pm 

i wouldnt worry about the differences of 1 10th of a milimeter or 2 10ths would make. whats more important to me is the stiffness of blades that thin. in my experience ive found 270mm konos and suisins to be a tad thicker and have stiffer blades.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:39 pm 

also, for what its worth theres going to be a little variation from knife to knife in any specific line of 1 or 2 tenths of a mm. the knives are hand made after all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

Amen.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:08 pm 

If this helps... I own a couple of Konosukes, both 240mm, one western and the other Wa (Not the exact same type). I measured the spine at the heel with a caliper, here are the results:

Konosuke 240mm HD w/bolster, micarta western/tactical handle, 6 pins.
2.40mm

Konosuke 240mm White #2 Honyaki with Ebony Octagonal white buffalo horn ferrule and end cap.
2.84 mm.

Interestingly enough.. the HD does not taper as much from heel distance. The honyaki tapers from 2.84 to 2.4 in about an inch distance or even less.. this leaves them at essentially the same thickness througout. I assume this has to do with the way the knives are made.

Just thought I would throw that in there!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]