It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:15 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 5 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: >> Teruyasu 240 Gyuto <<
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:08 pm 

Mel - Any updates on impressions with this one since your initial review? Have you taken the knife to the stones yet? I recently picked up his gyuto 210 Maboroshi edition and feel they are probably similar enough to inquire about what you've discovered with regard to edge durability, preferred angle, etc.
Mine is certainly no lightweight, beautiful hammered finish and just feels very solid. I think my 210 search is complete for now. I posted a few pics on page 5 of the show us your knives thread in case you are interested.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:49 pm 

Well, I guess I could wait the two weeks for this one. But I may have to start in with the petty in the next few days.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:42 am 

Melampus wrote:DOUG, TAZ <> I measured all my knives, and it is of no surprise that my two most comfortable have the largest ferrule to choil gap. I only started ordering all my knives with the machi exposed about a year ago, and that fact is the root of any regrets I may have with my knives. I wish I would have recognized this taste from day one, but we live we learn…

Taking these measurements has just illustrated for me the expected: the knives with shorter gaps are the knives I inherently use least.

My Teruyasu is radiused at the 90, but it’s 20mm to the choil. It’s my favorite… my most comfortable, yet.

My MasamotoKS has an extended Emoto, measuring 18mm. If it has a classical machi, I don’t know, but with an 18mm neck, I don’t particularly care.

The distance on my Fuji is similar, and so is the sentiment towards comfort.

~19mils

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:13 pm 

I too prefer more space between the chol and ferrule. Do you have to order direct from the factory to have this done?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

CHRISMIT <> You have to remove the handle, and then have it re-installed. Usually, the Wa breaks upon removal, and then you have to pay for a new handle plus the original cost of removal/installation. Handle & labor<--link or just labor.<--link

It is an absolute pain in the ass... as it is thoroughly frustrating to buy a knife and wait sometimes a very long time for all the work to be done to your specs.. but ultimately, worth every day & dollar spent on it as what is a $500 tool if you hate picking it up because your finger gets smashed every time you use it.?! :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:36 am 

Good to know. I'm going to have Tim do some custom handles for me so it's nice to know I can request to have them installed like this. It really does make a difference to me. My wa artifex has more space and I find myself using this over some of my better knives because of the comfort.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:09 am 

This will definitely be my next purchase. Love the 150 mm petty I have of his.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:28 am 

I have a question about the spine of the knife. I have the 150 petty and it clearly shows the stainless cladding with the carbon core where the stainless does not round over the top on the spine. Is this the same for the gyuto or do they enclose the carbon core completely?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:19 pm 

Chef

the carbon core is exposed at the spine on my teruyasu 240mm gyuto.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:11 am 

:D Thanks for the info stevonyc34!

Page 3 of 5 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next