It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:54 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: My kitchen knives...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:17 am 

Mark,
Thanks for the help but I need to know what kind of wood that is! Can anyone help? I really like that color brown and am doing a handle right now.

Thanks
Coach

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:54 am 

As for the handle, I wouldn't know from experience, but shopping around suggests that Kono tends to use Ho, Yew, and, very occasionally, "white ebony" for their lighter-toned handles, so it may be Yew in this case.

Mark, I'm wondering what in particular you love about the suisin so much. I'm wondering, too, if you could compare it to any experience with very similar knives (i.e., mono steel, wa-handled lasers or near-lasers). I'm not skeptical, I just want to hear someone who loves it sing its praises in a way that might overlap with some of my own experience. I'm also curious why yours seems to have a secondary bevel: did you put that on, and why is it so prominent on a mono-steel blade? I have a couple konos, but I've been increasingly curious how the swedish Inox feels in comparison...:)

Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:02 am 

nice collection :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:01 pm 

Coach, I really wouldn't know what type of wood it is. For sure it isn't ho wood. Color-wise it could be yew, but I have no clue. Maybe Mark the Owner can tell.

Salemj, what I love about the Suisin? First of all the steel, which is my favourite stainless steel for kitchen knives. I sharpen myself and it gets wickedly sharp. The knife is very thin but it has still got a convex grind, more than e.g. a Konosuke. Great profile. Fit and finish are also a tad above Konosuke: really polished blade, rounded spine and choil. And I like the machi, which makes holding the knife perfect (pinch grip).

I have a Kono, too. HH steel. And to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the secret HH steel is 19C26, too. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, ...

Page 3 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3