It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:14 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: >> Meara, Tajima, Atago <<
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

I just saw SADDEN on an Aoto post, and as I know he has at least 2 of these 3, I thought it would be nice to hear his & anyone else's opinions on these stones in a comparitve context.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/atmequ1.html

Post subject: Re: >> Meara, Tajima, Atago <<
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:00 pm 

Heres some excerpts from my notes on various Jnats. Based on conversations with Ken and my own experience :)

Tajima – 2k-3.5k , Soft stone

Igarashi – 2k-3k Hard Stone

Binsui – Harder Than Igarashi , 2k -3k

Kohzuke – Medium Hard , 2k-4k

Meara – Hard , 6k – 7k

The grit ratings are very rough , But it gives you an idea. Right now my running favorites in the group are the Igarashi and the Khozuke , both play well with both stainless and carbon steels , I would probably give the nod to the Khozuke for speed , although I suspect it might also be slightly coarser than the Igarashi. Havent done side by side comparisons to say for sure.

The Meara is a stone that should be in everyones collection , it plays well with everything and does a good job of bridging the gap between a nakado or aoto type stone , to a finishing stone , such as an Yaginoshima Asagi. Other stones worth mentioning would be the Tsushima , Monzen Aoto and Aono Aoto. My least favorite nakado right now is the Binsui , it the slowest by far , very little mud generation even with a Tomo. Ive used the Tajima the least so I cant comment to much on it.

I also have some more , harder to find stuff coming from Ken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:41 pm 

Sadden wrote:The Meara is a stone that should be in everyones collection , it plays well with everything and does a good job of bridging the gap between a nakado or aoto type stone , to a finishing stone, such as an Yaginoshima Asagi. Other stones worth mentioning would be the Tsushima , Monzen Aoto and Aono Aoto

I just ordered the Meara and Aono from Ken Friday... you guys are bad influences ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:34 am 
Forum Moderator

I'm 99% on the Meara, but the Atago @CKTG is my monkey wrench. I have received conflicting information thus far about it... hence, this post. The Monzen Aoto was my original consideration, but it's a bit too similar to my Nubatama Bamboo 1200. I'm looking for something harder & finer... thus my interest in the Meara, but the Atago, from the CKTG description, looks perfect. I'm looking for more independent opinions so I can purchase appropriately.

Thank you for all the input, thus far.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

Solves that... someone snatched up my Atago. ;) As always... you pay for deliberation! :x

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]