It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:37 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Goko Wt#1 Chestnut handle sanded
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:28 pm 

Stole this idea from coach, thanks coach. IIRC coach took his handle down further than I did. I did not hate these handles as so many did, but I really liked coach's pictures so I tried it myself.

I used a sandpaper progression of 80, 100, 220, 3?0 (can't recall), 400. I sanded until the grain was smoothed out. I did not try to significantly decrease the diameter of the handle, I just did not like the exaggerated hills and valleys of the grain.

The outcome is smoother to the touch, which I like. It feels...more quality. Aesthetically the contrast between the dark finished that remained and the lighter wood that was exposed below is very cool, IMO.

Post subject: Re: Goko Wt#1 Chestnut handle sanded
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:43 am 

Looks good, just needs a new ferrule now ;)

Considered doing this myself. I like the grippy feeling even when wet. Does it retain it after sanding?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:54 am 

Cedar,
Looks awesome! I like the brown bits on the end. How is your ferrule now with the handle, more flush? Great stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:58 am 

"How is your ferrule now with the handle, more flush?"

It is closer, but the handle is still proud of the ferrule. I really just sanded until I got to the valleys of the grain. I was not looking for a lot of change, just a little evening up :). Thanks for the idea, coach.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:51 am 

The grain of the chestnut wood is a lot more interesting than a a plain Ho wood or magnolia handle. It looks and feels much better when sanded and smoothed. I did the same treatment to my Goko 240 wh#1 about 6 months ago. Tim Johnson replaced the plastic ferrule with rosewood. Nice job Cedarhouse.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:04 pm 

Looks better, does it feel any better?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:52 pm 

Bikeman, thanks!

Jeff, the handle still has some grain texture to it, but it feels a lot more refined. 'Course it did nothing to help the chintzy ferrule :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:49 pm 

I like the look of the darker grain popping out. If you did want to sand closer to the ferrule, put a layer of tape over it to prevent scratching it when you sand slightly past the wood. You can get it much closer that way. (You might have done that already.)

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]