It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:21 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Help me choose a 210 Gyuto...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:25 pm 

Hello,
I'm new here. Wish I would have found this place a couple of years ago. I'm just a home cook, but really enjoy cooking, especially anything from my garden. Shun's were the first Japanese knife I was exposed to. I bought a set of Shun Classics, and was .........................shocked................in ecstasy at how good knifes transformed my cooking experience. I have been following this forum for several months and have learned a tremendous amount. I can know resharpen my shuns, and getting a decent edge on them. So now am looking to upgrade my shuns. I am narrowing done my first .........non Shun, Japanese knife. Looking for a good 210 mm Gyuto in the $200.00 to $300.00 range.
Daniel

<moderator note:moved by melampus>

Post subject: Re: Help me choose a 210 Gyuto...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:03 am 

Hello, Daniel. You've asked the right people, but I'll ask a few questions in return. How do you feel about steel type? At that price range your options are open and you can select from wonderful high carbon, clad carbon, semi-stainless, or stainless steel options. Do you prefer a western or Japanese handle? You want a Japanese knife, which would imply a wa handle, but a Kikuichi TKC in particular has a wonderful western handle design. Do you want a thin, agile knife or a knife that can do some heavy lifting? All the knives you'd be considering are much more nimble than a German knife, but lighter is relative. Some are far more substantial than others.

At this price range, the difference in knives can be incredibly minute, so knowing your exact expectations and preferences can make a big difference.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:00 am 

So many good knives in that price range! Show us or tell us what peaks your interest and we can help you narrow it down.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:34 pm 

Hello,
I prefer high carbon knive. I collect knives( military and pocket) and am very active in living history. So use and care for many carbon knives.
I want Japanese handle. I am right handed. Looking for a 190 to 210 mm Gyuto.
I learned very early on that the Shuns and by extension most Japanese kitchen knives were not meant for some things, and adjusted my use. I think I am leaning to a thinner more agile blade.
I am getting to where I can now put a decent edge on my knifes, and that will just get better as I sharpen more.
Currently am most interested in the following three
Takeda classic Gyuto 210 mm S
Takeda classic Sasanoha 210mm M, (think that I want the lower height)
Anryu Hammered Gyuto, with blue handle:) Love that color
Thanks Everyone
Daniel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

Daniel, between the 3 you mentioned my preference is, hands down, the Anryu Hammered Gyuto.

Another knife with similar characteristics to the Anryu is the Masakage Yuki 210 Gyuto: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayugy21.html.

The Richmond Aogami Super Laser 210: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rilaaosu21gy1.html is a superb knife as well. It doesn't have the hand forged charm of the others mentioned, but it's just an absolute super performer - well above it's price tag. It has more of a distal taper to the spine as it blends into the tip area, which make the tip perform a bit better than the Anyru/Yuki, it's pretty non-stick as well, due to the excellent grinds on the blade face.

Another excellent knife is the Tetsuhiro Hammered 210 Gyuto: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tehawh1.html. These have awesome F&F and have a flatter than average edge profile if that is something that interests you. They are very, very nice knives. Not super light, but lots of cutting power.

As you're probably realizing, there are lots of excellent choices in this price range!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:28 pm 

Hi Steve,
Thank you! Yes my choice, currently is also the Anryu Hammered Gyuto. I think I will keep learning and try to patiently wait for restock:)
After looking at all the 210's also curious about the following
Konosuke white #2 Fujiyama gyuto
Kanehiro Wa- gyuto 210 mm
konosuke HD2 210 MM PETTY EBONY
Masakage Koishi gyuto 210
Thank you
Love to hear any advice or thoughts.
Daniel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:46 pm 

The Konosuke W#2 is exemplary for a Japanese knife. Great steel, great fit and finish, great handle.

You're probably better off avoiding a petty at the 210mm length. They are thinner, most specialized knives. The Konosuke HD2 gyuto, however, would be an excellent consideration when it comes back in stock. The steel is a bit more forgiving in terms of care.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:15 pm 

Hi:
I have both the Anryu Hammered 210 and the Kono Fuji White#2 210.

The Kono Fuji is an elegant knife. You need to be aware that it is carbon clad so you have be willing to live with that. It is the shortest at 201 mm. I use it as my utility knife most of the time rather than a petty. The grid, fit and finish are flawless and it is a breeze to sharpen. I like to sharpen so edge retention is not an issue for me.

The Anryu Hammered 210 is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. The fit and finish is also very nice.
It is a little longer and feels larger than the Kono Fuji. It also has a bit flatter profile. The cladding is stainless so it is more forgiving maintenance wise. Before I got my Tetsuhiro 240 this was my goto midweight for large chopping jobs.

I have not handled the Tetsuhiro Hammered 210 but I have the 240. It's White No. 1 if that means anything to you. It is a work horse. The grind is superb. No wedging on hard vegetables. It blast through butternut squash and still thin enough upfront for fine tip work. Plus it's got that hammered fish scale bling going for it.

You will have a hard time finding anyone to say much negative about any of these knives.
They each have their own charm. But if it were me I'd get the Kono Fuji cause everyone should have at least one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:16 pm 

Check out the masamoto ks too; it has quite a following

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

OTKONOT <> Yes, if any of us had any reason to believe that you were now interested in a 250 or 270 Funayuki... we would, for sure, be suggesting to take a look at the KS.

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next