It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:15 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: >> Instead of... <<
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:21 am 
Forum Moderator

...just blasting through some vegetable like anyone worth his salt can, I wanted to illustrate a different take on an old video. I'm typically too busy for any form of R&R, but I had a series of seconds so I chose to do just that. I don't have a tripod or video-camera, just an iPhone, and although the video is of high resolution, the camera angle does not exemplify the bias as I would like. It's all the time I had/have for now, but the video shows, if you look specifically for it, a method of dicing an onion, shallot, etc on a bias.

Typically, most will begin and finish their downward incisions at 90 degrees to the board. Obviously, onions have layers, and being spherical said layers will be cut unevenly if every incision is perpendicular to the board. In this fashion, only the layers at the vertical centerline of the onion will be diced square. When you begin on your first 90 degree incision the incongruence is at its most aggravated whereas you will not be square at your entry. So what I do, is on my first incision, enter at 45 degrees, and rotate the bias on to my last incision, then entering at 135 degrees. This method will not create a perfectly square dice on 100% of the onion, but it will create a much more consistent dice which then necessitates less mincing to even out your product.

The camera angle was the best I could do at the time with my tools & it does not show said method as well as I'd hoped to. Furthermore, me rushing the video to keep it short so my phone wouldn't have to compress the file for email, didn't allow me to hit a rythym & my bias rotation was from only 60-120 degrees... instead of the 45-135 degrees that I typically execute. If you focus on the original incision, you will no doubt recognize the angled entry, and if you focus on the blade face showing a growing reflection once the knife rotates past centerline, you undoubtedly recognize the converse angle on the opposite side.

I hope someone gleens something from the following...

Post subject: Re: >> Instead of... <<
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:07 pm 

it surprises me how people dont know this sometimes, but nice video !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

Nice!

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

...back to angles.....all about knives and cutting again.....cool...

:)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

Speaking of angles, I like the camera angle. Nice job. You should do more of these.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]