It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:43 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sharpening stainless steels with the Green Brick
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:11 am 

Thank you guys again for the valuable input. I am looking into adding a mid-grit stone as Steve and Sharkbite suggested. Based on what is in stock right now I am leaning toward the Chosera 400. As far as Choseras go it seems like one of the better values.

Nolan, that is good insight about the folders. RIght now I have the Sog Flash I, in AUS-8, and the Kershaw NRG 1740 in 14C26N which I think is essentially a slightly modified version of AEB-L (13C26). I will check the grinds on them for sure, and I think a mid-grit stone or even a 1k would help correct any issues with the bevels. And I need to buy a new sharpie! Mine dried up just before the Green Brick arrived...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm really liking my Shapton Glass 500 stone. It's got a very smooth feel for a 400-500 grit category stone. I used the Nubatama Bamboo 150/1200 combo stone for the 1st time yesterday. The Shapton 500 is much smoother feeling than even the 1200 side of the Nubatama stone.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:22 pm 

That is the one thing that seems to bother me about the couple Bamboo stones I've used, they have a rough feel to them. Like your sharpening on a concrete block.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:01 am 

That is good feedback about the Bamboo stones. The 150/1200 combo caught my attention in terms of a bang-for-the-buck solution, being able to add a 150 and 1200 grit surface for only $60. From reading on the forum, it seems that many users like the Bamboo 150 and the speckled Ume 1k medium. The Nubatama stones are interesting, in part because there are so many different options to choose from in the 800-1200 grit range.

I'm intrigued by the Shapton glass stones too, and I notice the 500 grit stone is available in an extra thick version which essentially amounts to buy-one, get-one-half-price. Do you guys think that stone would provide an adequate lead in to the Green Brick?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:14 am 

"Do you guys think that stone would provide an adequate lead in to the Green Brick?"

You could do it, but I think you'd find a 1k in there would really speed things up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:43 am 

I used a 400 Chosera and a 2k green brick as a combo for months. The 400 Chosera is a nice fast stone but leaves a finer scratch pattern that's easier to remove. Think of it like a 1k 6k, it works for most things but you would eventually want something between.

(Edit to add)
It only becomes a issue for PM steels or large bevels. With PM steels the problem is wear resistance and it's probably the one instance that would require a medium grit stone. On simpler alloys the issue will be surface area, more area is kinda like wear resistance but won't stop the sharpening. The end result is scratches in the polish with the sharp edge. For most Japanese knives and European knives it's a fast combo that gives good results.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:32 pm 

I have the Shapton Glass 500 and use it with my Green Brick as a combo on my Victorinox knives. If I'm working some of my carbons i'll add something between the 4k-8k range depending on how much I want to play. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:58 pm 

Jason, thanks for your perspective. As I said earlier in this thread I try to base my sharpening approach on the videos you've made and the zoop-zoop technique I learned from watching MrKnifeFanatic's videos.

I think I understand what you're saying about the 400-2k transition. For PM steels, the 2k is inadequate (or at least very slow) for removing the scratches left behind by the 400 grit stone. And for large bevels, the issue is that the 400-2k jump leaves the edge nice and sharp, but the remainder of the bevel may have some residual scratches and not achieve the level of polish that you could attain by using a 1k stone in between. Do I have that right?

Jeff, that sounds like a nice progression. Do you find the Shapton 500 cuts quickly enough to set a bevel effectively? Steve mentioned that the Shapton 500 has a very smooth feel which I presume is accompanied by a relatively fine scratch pattern. Both of those characteristics sound great, but being a 500 grit stone I'd want it to have some bite too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:12 am 

Spot on, Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:19 am 

Ryan --> The 500 glass does have a smooth feel and is a fast cutter more than capable of setting a bevel. If I have a knife in really bad shape or needs repairs I usually start with a 220 grit diamond plate or my 320 Shapton Pro. If I start with the diamond plate the 500 works well after to remove the diamond scratches. The 500 glass extra thick is a great bargain, that's the one I have. I'd love it if they made it in a 320.

Page 2 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next