It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:26 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: First J knife
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:41 am 

So I'm wondering what was your "gateway" knife into the land of J knives.

I had plenty of knives to cook with and they all worked well for me. They included a couple Henckels, Wustofs, and other assorted knives (many of the small knives were from Marshalls). I was really into pocket knives and then got hooked on kitchen cutlery. My first J knife was off Amazon and her it is:

A SETO petty! Damascus, VG-10.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBT ... UTF8&psc=1

By this time I knew how to sharped from stones and this thing did scream when sharpened. I remember not liking the lack of space under the choil but otherwise really liked it. It's been in a box (I think the Masakage Shimo petty box) in the cabinet for awhile but it got me hooked. So that started me off and now I'm half a dozen J knives in and there are a lot of future knives in my bookmarks.

What was your first "drug" of choice?

Post subject: Re: First J knife
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:00 am 

haruyuki srs15 - great knife, love it :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:30 am 

The knife that convinced me Japanese knives were worthwhile was a Mac Chef series 10" Chef knife. It belongs to a coworker and changed how I looked at knives. The first Japanese knife I purchased is a much beloved Fujiwara FKM 270mm sujihiki. Humble but noble.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:38 am 

hattori hd. what an excellent cutter; if only the steel were a little sexier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:33 am 

Aritsugu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:53 am 

I found this sight some years ago looking for a knife bag. Surfed around and bought a Shun premier, my ultimate edge deluxe, and a coupla stones.
Fast Forward to Nov '13
Out of boredom I was on this sight looking at a Tojiro Deba.
Was watching the Demo and clikked on it to see the YouTube Comments. I seen KnifeFanatic's comment in reply to another comment. Konosuke for Performance. Kanehiro for workhorse and Tojiro for value.
Through much deliberation I went for The Kanehiro AS 240, the most I've spent on a knife, by far.
The rest is history, 8 knives and $2800 dollars later in the span of 6 months, My whole kit has been replaced with the exception of a 300 Suji.
My Takeda Classic Nakiri arrived today. I dig it. Used it a bit to chop fingerlings into coins to go with the parsnips and the guanciale for a ragout; AND split baby carrots. Feels great in the hand, good height and nice and light.
so for me it was The Kanehiro 240 AS. Haven't looked back. I've been strung out ever since and it only took me 6 months.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:07 am 

Hiromoto 150 mm petty was my first true J-Knife. The knife that actually got me looking into quality knives was buying a New West 9" chef's knife. Bought one on a whim, and that's the knife that opened up the rabbit hole. I've kept it pretty contained over on my end though. I have an Artifex Suji, the Hiromoto, a Yuki honesuki, and Kohetsu AS 270mm which trades on and off with my New West.
I do plan on adding a Konosuke Hd2 gyuto very soon and keeping my New West as my home knife, I like the way it looks too much to hurt it at work.

Knife Experience:
150mm Hiromoto petty
9" New West Knife Works Chef's
270mm Kohetsu AS Gyuto
150mm Masakage Yuki Honesuki
8 and 10" Wusthof Classics
Crappy Mercer culinary school knives

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:17 am 

MAC Superior Santoku was my first J-knife...I think, can't remember the order anymore. But I was hooked when I got the Tojiro DP.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:33 am 

Great stories people. I'm on spring break and can read these all the time. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Finger,
I can relate with the speed but not the cost! Seems like the knife drug hits us hard.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:36 pm 

A friend put his yanagi in my hands about a decade ago - started the thirst.

First purchase was a shun maybe 5 years ago. A number of globals 2-3 years ago. Masamoto a year or so ago. Then the flood started.

Page 1 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next