It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:05 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Reactive cladding VS stainless cladding?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:50 pm 

Recently got my first carbon Gyuto...the lowly 99$ Tanaka forum special. I freaking love it. But I am wondering is there any disadvantage to using stainless cladding? Is there any difference?

I suppose this blue #2 is my favorite steel simply because I got it reasonable sharp...even perhaps with a little burr, but I was still able to get a good bite on tomatoes with the 5k edge.

It's my understanding that Takeda is going to be using primarily stainless in the future...this of course was just an internet forum statement...no confirmed facts on this.

Is there any difference in ease of sharpening?

Post subject: Re: Reactive cladding VS stainless cladding?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

I'm glad you like the Tanaka. :)

Takeda's original plan was to transition over to stainless but I'm not sure if he's fully committed yet. I'll ask him. Stainless cladding is a little tricky to hammer. It's a little more brittle and he's had more difficulty doing them with more losses in the forging stage.

There is no difference in sharpening or performance since the core steel is still AS.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:00 am 

I don't think you would notice a difference.

The core steel protrudes out from the cladding about 1-2cm at least. Cladding is always a softer, tougher steel or version of the core steel in the case of a honyaki.

Unless you are doing some ridiculous thinning, you shouldn't notice a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:44 am 

Lunatic wrote:Cladding is always a softer, tougher steel or version of the core steel in the case of a honyaki.

Only a portion of the spine half is differentially-hardened for honyaki knives. When thinning a honyaki knife, you are thinning the same hardness material as the cutting edge.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]