It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:44 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Knives as investment!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:22 pm 

Is a kitchen knife a good investment? :geek:

I've always wondered in anyone sees any part of the kitchen knife experience as an investment.

We all love our knives, use them, pamper them, and in some cases closer to us than family. At the end of the day our most precious tools.

Are all knife nuts collectors at some point?
when do we cross the line between user/collector/investor?

We've all heard of some knives that double, even triple in price. We know that some knives make good trades, good investments.... is this subject to trend? Are knives that are a good buy now a good buy in 3 years? Does it even matter?

What are the most important factors in a good investment?
1) Maker: Fit and finish, Certification of that maker, the ability to contact that particular craftsman?
2) Characteristics: Measurements, material (Steel composition),
3) Market (supply and demand), availability?
4) If its practical/fun to use.

What do you guys think?

Post subject: Re: Knives as investment!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:05 am 

The best investments were in JKnives ~5 years ago when the yen was half what it is now relative to the US dollar!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

Knives are not generally good investments...no.

However, I once had an Excel spreadsheet that showed my net output for knives at $0.00 and as I recall it had a current inventory of 40(ish) knives and 60+ that I had owned and sold.

Between selling some at a small loss, and selling a few VERY luck investments (cough...Kramer....cough) at huge profits, what I had currently and what I felt they were fairly worth if I ever decided to sell them, I had actually spent no money on my knife hobby. That always made me proud. However, if it were not for the huge profits I saw from the Kramer....that would never be true.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:44 pm 

Yeah, the Kramer Knives investment bubble aside, no they are not investments, unless:
1. you get paid a LOT of money per hour for a living and choose how many hours you work
2. you work with your knives professionally

Even making minimum wage, a full time prep cook could justify paying $1000 for one knife, once.

I think in online communities, probably 85% of the people registered are collectors--not just of knives, but are collectors as people.

I've always wanted to just rotate them around and end up with a set of core knives that I really love, but I'm always experimenting and playing with different knives/edges/etc.

For home cooks, I'd say spending ~500 on your knives and knife stuff is reasonable if you actually are the kind of person who wants to prepare their own food. If you mostly order Domino's, not so much. These are things that I interact with every day, multiple times a day, and they are a big part of my life. My cutting board is so much more a fixture in my life than my dresser, couch, or even my car.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:18 pm 

I agree that knives are generally not an investment that will give you a return by appreciating in value. In general, you won't make money inesting in knives, no matter what your job happens to be or how many hours a week you work. Knives are tools that help you get a job done. Thankfully, a prep cook, and any other cook, can get a high quality knife for under $100.00, including a quality saya branded with the name BURKE (Richmond Atifex 210mm gyuto). With knives like the Artifex available, it would be hard for a prep chef to justify investing more.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:50 am 

I agree with wicked, with knives in the current market I don't see a "return on investment" but knives are investments in the mindset that the knife will last a long time, your whole life generally. So are knives investments? Yes I believe they are, but the majority of people on this forum do not worry about that. They worry about the addiction of this hobby!!!

Drew Hostetler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

We all agree. Knives stink as an investment. Although, if you look at the rate of 10 year bonds right now, breaking even on your investment like Adam did would pretty much equal your return buying a bond and holding it. You also can't chop an onion with a bond. :)

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:24 pm 

You also can't LOSE money buying a knife. I have many close friends and clients who have lost everything investing in stocks, real estate, and most other investments. At the end of the day, your knife is a versatile tool that helps you get a job done.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

THE DAMASCUS MASKED NUT <> It depends on how you define "investment". If youre meaning in the sense of monetary reward, nope... rarely resale appreciation. If you mean practically, of course... the investment in a high quality tool allows greater ease in creating a quality product quickly, efficiently, & consistently over a long period of time.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]