It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:55 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 6 of 7 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kohetsu blue paper #2, 210mm gyuto in the air.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:18 pm 

Thanks Steve, Taz, look forward to the video. Taz can we get a photo of the rehandle when you're done. Would love to see it.

I like the Kohetsu blue but wish it was a couple of mm taller. If it was indeed 48 mm as mark mistakenly said in the video that would be perfect.

For those use of you that have it, what are your thoughts on the handle, it looks sharp around the rear. I like the handle in the western artifex, nicely rounded. Simple yet functional. But the one on the Kohetsu just looks ugly and cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

tanaka-r2-and-kohetsu-210mm-blue-2-rehandles-t5552.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:33 pm 

Beautiful work Taz.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:58 pm 

taz575 wrote:I let my one of my buddies borrow it, so it's not in my hands currently. Blade performance is very close to the AS Wa handled 210mm, the grinds are the same and it's a laser! Cuts very easily and cleanly thru stuff, good edge taking/holding, too. The handle gaps can be fixed easily, but I rehandled mine anyway with some wood that I had stashed for over a year, waiting on a nice western handled knife to use it on.

We're there gaps in the handle? How's the original handle ergonomics wise, comfy?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ray - I've got a Blue #2 in for doing the next group of videos. There are gaps on each side right at the ferrule area between the scale and the tang. I'll show it in the video. To be honest, I like the feel of the Artifex G10 composite handles better. I also have the Artifex SAB in 52100 and AEB-L for videos - they have the traditional Artifex handles. The Kohetsu HAP40 handles w/metal bolster are much nicer than the B#2 with very good F&F.

To add, the Artifex composite handles are more rounded as well. The B#2 has pretty squared off corners.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, they continued the blade grind back so it ends under the scales, so there are gaps between the tang and handle. The handle is a typical bolsterless handle style/material; they put the effort into the blade grind and material wise and went with an inexpensive handle. You can sand the handle easily to round the corners and fill in the gaps with epoxy or putty. I find that many western handled Japanese knives have a bit rougher handle F&F, especially at the lower end of the spectrum. The Lamson made Artifex have nicer handles (nicer material, better/cleaner contouring and rounding, better handle/tang fit and finish, etc), but are thicker behind the edge on the blade where the Kohetsu 210mm is a laser type grind. So it's either clean up a handle or thin a blade out to get the knife where it needs to be. Handles IMHO are much easier to round out since the handle material is easier to shape than the steel :) Ergonomics of the Kohetsu handle (size, shape, curve) I prefer over the Artifex since I have bigger hands and the Artifex handles feel cramped for me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Great point Tim! It's easier to sand some wood to round the handle contours a bit than to thin a blade :-). That handle job on the Blue #2 is really nice. Was that for yourself? The reason I ask is that it looks slimmer and more rounded than the original, and you just mentioned your preference. Just curious.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, that is one of my personal knives. The handle is a lot more contoured/rounded than the factory handle. The tang on the B2 is taller than the Artifex and I find I like this taller handle with a western handle and the tang is a bit longer as well, so the handle length is better for me and my larger hands. With a taller tang, I find I can get away with a thinner scale and don't need as much rounding to make it feel comfy in the hand, where the shorter tang height of the Artifex, I usually try to use a thicker piece of wood and round it more. A way to think of it is an oval vs a circle; the oval fills the hand better with slimmer side panels and less rounding than a circle would; a circle would need fatter scales to have a similar feel since it lacks the height. The Tojiro ITK Bread Knife and the Kohetsu are 2 of my few remaining western handled knives. The others are smaller Artifex series knives, like the boning knives, honesuki, hankotsu, petty, etc where these see rougher use when breaking down deer, so I leave the factory handles on them since they are used in harder conditions than my personal knives I use for food prep.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

I really can't stand listening to my own voice. I have to turn the volume off for this one...

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:34 pm 

I like the commentary you put in for that video though, it really helps if I was a first time buyer.

Page 6 of 7 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next