It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:06 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Which one do you prefer? Apex or Professional?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:52 pm 

Edge Pro Professional looks like a very sturdy piece of kit but at $600+, wouldn't one consider the WEP? I am debating whether to get a Full Monty Apex set from Mark or go for the Professional. I really like the sturdiness of the Professional model. Anyone with experience of both models, please chip in and do a pro and con analysis. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Which one do you prefer? Apex or Professional?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:15 pm 

Hello knifeman CAN, I do have the professional model. I have been using it now for about 5 months. It is a very solid and well built. I am new at all this stuff but even I can get good edges. I am sorry but I have never used the Apex model.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:04 am 

I have the Apex and am very pleased. I keep it on a sturdy sheet pan and it is very stable. Do I wish I had sprung for the pro? Not really.

I can't honestly fault the price of the pro. Those pana-vise style bases are expensive.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:39 am 

I prefer the pro. Just get the base model for 375$ , your going to be upgrading stones and strops down the line anyways

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:43 am 

Kman, I've had both. The Pro is definitely sturdier and I believe it's capable of more acute angles than the Apex. At the end of the day though, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Apex and especially the Full Monty for those on a more limited budget - it will get the job done quite well. I do not use the EP on my J Knives - I hand sharpen them for a variety of reasons - but there are plenty of people who use the EP both Apex and Pro for all different kinds of knives and from what i've seen of their pics - very successfully as well.

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:57 pm 

you can't go wrong with either one, it all just comes down to how much you want to spend.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:26 pm 

+1 on what Sadden said.
I started with the APEX then went to the PRO a few months later.
The APEX does do a good job but the PRO is sturdier and has a bit wider blade table.
As Sadden said, you will be upgrading your stones.
Also you probably won't be using the scissor sharpener on the PRO so you save a few bucks there.
Bottom line , I try to get and use the best tools I'm capable of using. You won't go wrong either way.

Douglas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:06 pm 

I bought the Full Monty Apex and I love it. I like not having to soak the stones with the Shaptons that Mark provides. I do have freehand J stones that I soak and that is a pleasure. But with the EP Apex I really like the get up and go situation as I bring the whole set up with me to work on knives at other locations. The Apex is tough and mobile and the Shapton stones are splash and go.
I do wish I had a scissor attachment for the apex. I could get a lot more business. But hey, that's another discussion for later.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:20 am 

i have only used the apex, but like it a lot. will probably not get the pro. the apex EP is definitely making me a better freehand sharpener.

pat

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:16 pm 

I have been playing around a ton with my Apex 4 and see no reason to move to the Pro. Great product and great value. The only thing I need is a more permanent riser block for getting my more narrow knives up to where I can put on 10 - 12 degree angle without hitting the plastic on the stop block with the stone. The video recommends a piece of cardboard, which I am using, but I have to keep replacing it as the water gets to it. Best of luck

Jamie

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next