It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:35 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: They must be desperate, I have an interview
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:07 am 

My Menu happy hour menu...

Small Plates:

Braised Oxtail and Polenta

Hand made to order Piroshki bites (Not a damn one in Northern California worth a continental)

Tilapia Tacos with mango chili salsa and Jicama slaw on the side

Pizzas

White Pizza:
Thinly sliced apple,provolone,pesto, toasted pine nuts, lightly seasoned with smoked alder salt.

Red Pizzas:

Salame, Calabresse sausage, mozzarella and tomato garlic sauce.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:52 pm 

Umberto wrote:Yes the brewery you speak of is Stone...Those guys are boring. I hate that they try to push their crap up here in northern California...We've got the better IPA :)

I think the Stone food concept is not over the top, it's just stupid...Most stone products are completely bitter. Adding Stone beer to promote it in every dish is pretty tacky and the entirely wrong way to pair food with beer.

Every time I go to Stone I drink beer from other breweries. :D I'm certainly not a Stone beer fan. I agree on the bitterness. The Karl Strauss breweries use their Red Trolley Ale in a lot of food, but the stuff I've eaten was pretty good. Karl Strauss' beer is certainly much better than Stone's offerings as well!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:17 pm 

What position are you interviewing for?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:46 pm 

Good luck Umberto. Hope it works out for you!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:55 pm 

Stone beer is a gateway for folks into craft / micro brew, as was Strauss before that, and San Adams before that. But stone has taken a particularly aggressive marketing and expansion plan (product of Koch), which their patrons are paying for with limited (ok, none) benefit. Their food and beverage prices are way inflated. And their food can't even keep up with mediocre food truck fare.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:38 pm 

Well I completely failed the interview. I was asked specific questions about food holding temperatures and completely forgot the magic numbers of my serve safe card. I know this is important...He also asked how I would store chicken, beef and pork in the walk in box...I simply replied on a tray on the bottom away from potential contamination sources.

He then said "Is that all you would do." I said "Yes, I'd keep it away from mixed greens and other prepared foods." Apparently not good enough. I guess common sense is not a good enough answer. He prefers the standardized test approach. I get it food safety is important but if he thinks i'm dumb enough to toss bloody goods around in the walk in box he can shove it.

One question was pertaining to a banquet at which temperature should the food be held for how long... To which I replied "I'm sorry I honestly forgot the arbitrary number."

He replied the proper temperature number and two hours maximum. I thought to myself...if prepared food is going to sit two hours it must be crap...but not necessarily so...but how many times do throw a banquet and tell the client "hey two hours is up this food is contaminated and has to go." I presume if the food is exceptional there won't be a two hour window to give the gift of food poisoning.

That pretty much was the nail in the coffin. Ladies and gets it's as if they want a Chef Cuisine to serve Chili Cheese Nachos and Pork sliders...yuck...

The nerve of people to claim to give a damn about craft beer. So consequently I went down the road to another brewery to have a pint to celebrate my failure. I got talking with two guys who own food trucks. One guy does specialty chicken dishes the other does burgers. His burger cost 8$ and comes with a side salad. It looks like a work of art compared to the 16$ burger at the place I applied for.

So before I left he gave me his card and offered to pay cash for helping out on a random basis...when it rains it pours. He also said "if you want to play around in the truck with food I'll pay cash."

There you have it folks...never underestimate the social networking power of beer :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:43 pm 

You'll have more fun in the food truck :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:54 pm 

1 door closes, 2 doors open.

Karma isn't always a bitch - sometimes it's a gem

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:24 pm 

Perhaps he just wanted to know that somebody who would be responsible for food safety could pass a health inspection.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:15 pm 

Wow, sorry to hear about that, I guess you made out ok with the connections at the pub.

Page 2 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next