It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:34 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Gift knife for my wife.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jim, I'd stick with all stainless on this first knife. Getting your wife even a stainless clad over a reactive carbon steel core might bite you in the butt pretty bad ;-). Using a thinner knife that needs a bit more care is one thing - but you don't want to give her an entirely new job ITK - caring for carbon. Developing good habits to help keep the new knife in good shape may be enough of a change in itself - if she doesn't already have these habits.

The Konosuke HD2 is a great knife, but it's so thin - IMO it might not be the best first Japanese knife for someone. I'd go for something a little more robust.

The Suisin Gyuto that Rayong mentioned is a nice knife as well. The Takayuki Western Grand Chef I mentioned is made from nicer steel, but it's more expensive. I just got a sample of this knife in the bundle of knives for the next set of Quick Look Videos. It's really nice and probably my favorite of all those I mentioned. The Masamoto VG would be right up there as well, but again OOS for now.

Post subject: Re: Gift knife for my wife.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:30 pm 

I'll admit I'm biased as I own one of these kikuichi TKC. This is my first J Knife and I'm absolutely impressed with it. It takes an edge really well and holds it for a long time. I'm just a home cook also but I would say I have decent skills, especially after getting this knife and watching the videos. I really love the videos BTW. My prep time was literally cut in half. Pun intended. :lol:

You should be able to go a few months between sharpening easily. The steel in this knife is nothing like a German knife. I have some very good German knives that although are good and I can get them sharp, they just don't hold a candle to The TKC. It really is a night and day difference in feel and cutting ability. I was blown away when I started to use mine. It still amazes me when I use it. I'm going to do a review once I have the time and when I get a few more months of use out of it. I've only had it about 4 months and I only sharpened it twice, and only because I wanted to not because it really needed it.

Coming from a 8" German Chef knife, the 240 TKC felt long to me and kinda awkward but the more I use it the more I like the additional length. I would recommend the 210 for your wife.

It comes highly recommended by the experts here and I can see why. You can slice, dice, rock chop or whatever and it will handle it just fine. It won't be a stretch going from a German blade to this knife.

I think whatever you get her she will be blown away with the difference. If you do get the TKC I know she will be thrilled.

That's my 2 cents.

Dave.

Page 2 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2