It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:13 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 6 of 7 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Barkeeper's Friend making things much worse?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:49 am 

pjwoolw wrote:By opening deeper scratches in the metal making rust easier to form. In these situations your looking more to polish the metal.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:36 pm 

Dan_Crubenew wrote:With the Flitz, I rub it in with a different cork until it dries, then I polish it off with a towel. Is that the best way? No idea, it is the only way I have ever used it.

Im glad i stopped by this thread. I have been struggling with my Fujiyama and its reactivity since I got it.. BKF seems to make it worse as stated. I almost forgot about the FLitz I had sitting in a box. A little Flitz with some mineral oil seems to have curbed some of its appetite for rust.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:23 pm 

Those felt blocks Mark sells work well to polish knives too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:31 pm 

pjwoolw wrote:By opening deeper scratches in the metal making rust easier to form. In these situations your looking more to polish the metal.

That's not how rust works.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:48 pm 

Its my understanding that scotchbrite pads/belts are pretty commonly used on knives to achieve a satin finish.

But, when exposing fresh steel, the knife will become more reactive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:54 pm 

Dakki wrote:

That's not how rust works.

Okay do what you want. I can agree to disagree.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:32 pm 

taz575 wrote:Yup, scotchbrite or "non woven abrasive pads" from Norton also work! I got to try this out finally with a customers knife that had been thinned a bit and had some scratches left over. Most hardware stores will sell a green and maroon pad for metal prep/rust removal. It looks to be pretty much the same as the Norton stuff I use. The Grey Norton pad works well as the last step, the white adds a bit of shine to the blade if I want it to look prettier. I strop on these pads on the counter or hard surface; you can do a satin finish (perpendicular to the edge) or a "hand rub" (parallel to the edge) with the pads, but you will probably need to touch up the edge again after doing so with the last stone you used.

http://www.woodcraft.com/search2/search ... ive%20pads

220, 320, 400, 600 grit sandpaper also works when used with a cork backer or hard felt to remove the scratches/refinish a blade.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:51 pm 

I've been following this thread to pick up some pointers and learned a few things. I've used the wine cork trick in the past to polish up some carbon knives and tried a couple of things, one being plain old white toothpaste. Maybe not the best but it worked well.

I do have a question though for Dakki - how does rust work? Especially when it applies to carbon steel knives.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:17 am 

Totoro wrote: ...

I do have a question though for Dakki - how does rust work? Especially when it applies to carbon steel knives.

I'd also like to hear that explanation. I've always hear that polished steel is more rust resistance than unpolished steel. For example, from http://www.armourarchive.org/essays/sofc_rust/

A dull object has a rougher surface - many peaks and valleys. All those peaks and valleys also mean that a rough object has a greater surface area than a smooth object. This means that a rough object has more area exposed to the air, which means it will be more prone to rust! Worse, all those little valleys make for microscopic nooks and crannies for moisture to settle in and promote rust. Generally speaking, the shinier an object is the more resistant to rust it will be.

Isn't a scratch just one long, moisture holding nook and cranny?

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:44 am 

So I hadn't used this knife in like 3 or 4 weeks, had coated it nice in mineral oil before storing it, used it tonight, as soon as I took it out of the box I see it has one little spot of legit pitting about the size of a pencil point above the heel.

How do I go about stopping this from progressing and removing the rust?

Page 6 of 7 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next