It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:38 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Left handers, do D handles bother you?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

I get customers from time to time that want to get custom handle jobs for knives with D handles. Currently I have a customer that is interested in the Masamoto KS.

For me when I try D handles that are turned around I don't mind them at all. How about any of you guys? It seems a shame to wait 6 months for a knife and pay extra money for a handle job that minimal impact on the feel and use of the knife.

But, that's just me and I don't use them all day. I just ship them all day....

What do you guys think?

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Left handers, do D handles bother you?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:14 pm 

I'm a home cook and d shaped handles feel really uncomfortable for me even though I'm only using them for a short period of time.
i guess turning them around would solve the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have no issues using D handles with a pinch grip. I don't use a knife all day like the pros, but I really don't even notice it once I start cutting.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:25 am 

D handles are not a problem for a lefty. The handle can be reversed or the handle can be sanded. I have a KS with a D handle and a great looking blonde buffalo ferrule. I sanded the D ridge lightly with 600 followed with 1500 grit sandpaper to ease the D ridge edge. Handle fits and feels great!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:40 am 

its not a big problem with a pinch grip on a gyuto, but is when using a handle grip on gyuto or utility knives...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:07 am 

My girlfriend is a lefty and she actually really likes D handles in right-handed orientation. She likes it enough that she commented on it a few times.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've had lefties that don't know anything about the D handles, say they like the bump on the right. They naturally want to rest their thumb on it. They liked it - I never said a word about lefty/righty handles.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:29 pm 

I am a lefty and a home cook. While i don't prefer a righty D handle, it fits comfortably in my hand with no problems. On my Tanaka, my fingers don't even reach the D and my thumbpad rest on the top of it comfortable. The other D handle I have is a 120 petty and it doesn't cause any issues either.

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:34 pm 

Lefty here, former prep slave, now at home cook.

I find the larger D handles (gyuto, suji, etc.) don't bother me, but I don't like the smaller ones. I have two on a 90 and 120 petties, and I don't like either. Not sure, but I am guessing that the handles are back in my grip a bit more than a pinch and the smaller handles are contributing. If the ferrules are resin, they don't sand well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

I am considering buying one of your Goko gyutos in 19C27 as a gift for a friend (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/goda21gy.html).

I note that they come with D-shaped handles. My friend is left handed so would it be possible to fit the knife with a left hand friendly D-handle?

Thanks
Chris

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]