It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:45 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: They must be desperate, I have an interview
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:15 pm 

The chef sounded very stern...Obviously he's running around like a chicken with his head cut off. I'm going to try to keep my mouth shut and not say anything stupid.

But I might have to pose the question : Does another brew pub really need to have pulled pork sliders on the menu...?

Seriously...we in CA are becoming a beer destination yet they still don't treat beer and food pairing with the same respect as wine. It makes me upset.

I have cuts all over my hands from slipping on the sharpening stone hahaha...hopefully this guy is a rough and tough guy when it comes to food but still has a soft side. I really need to find a new kitchen to cut myself in :)

Hopefully I can keep my current job and pick up a few hours over there...then I'd probably treat myself to a few Japanese natural stones and some imported beer :)

Post subject: Re: They must be desperate, I have an interview
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:55 pm 

Haha, best of luck to you, hope it works out to your plan. On a side note, I hate sliders, ridiculous concept. But it goes crazy so what else can I say?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:10 am 

Steam buns please

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:35 am 

Although I know you were just having fun, Give yourself more credit.

On the other side of pairing, there is a well known brewery and restaurant here in San Diego that forces beer into everything, and it is way, way over the top. Everything in moderation, you know?

GL man, and enjoy the ride

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:29 am 

Sorry. Dan, but I love sliders. But pulled pork sliders is a misnomer. Gotta be little burgers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:58 am 

We have two sliders on the bar menu, A WIKKED pain in the ass during the height of dinner service, IF, some patrons choose to order'em.
1. Pulled shortrib, with caramelized onion marmalade.
2. the very Popular, Fried buttrmlk Chik with ChipotleLime "aioli" & Green Tomato Chutney.
Venom starts flying out the cobra's mouth whomever is working the grill on any given evening.
I'm in the middle so if it's a Fri or Sat, My head will want to explode because then I gotta pick up Grill's Proteins until they are able to eradicate them from the situation as expeditiously as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:32 am 

Tall Dark and Swarfy wrote:Sorry. Dan, but I love sliders. But pulled pork sliders is a misnomer. Gotta be little burgers.

Hey man, like I said, I am in the minority with the whole "slider" phenomenon. Personally, I think they have been beaten to death. I mean, who has not worked with a menu featuring a trio of little damn sandwiches? lol.

They are always short rib or kobe, in the same style with very little innovation. I guess they aren't bad eating, but I would rather eat 1 sandwich than 4. I do understand share-ability, so there are definitely points to be scored for each side.

Bottom line is slider sandwiches aren't going to go away, so if you can cash in on it, and don't feel like a sell out, do so.

Sorry if that came off as a rant, I mean absolutely no disrespect. I'm just talking, haha.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:41 am 

I love me a pork belly slider with Kimchi and hoison on a steamed bun... Oh man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:34 am 

No disrespect Dan...I know what you mean. Honestly I'll make the mediocre pub stuff if I get a few more hours. I'm determined to buy an Usuba and master it...Once I do that anybody who wants to hire me is gonna have to pay me more :)

Here is my plan for the interview...

"I'm interested in this job because I strongly feel craft beer and food are not getting the respect they deserve. I do not want to sound arrogant but I feel that the current representations of beer with food is simply generic and contrived. I would really like to work in an environment where food changes with the seasons and is creatively developed around pairing with the beers. I know that beer has a stigma as being a blue collar. But today's beer drinkers are demanding a higher quality product. I strongly feel the demand for an increase in higher quality beer should certainly be paired with higher quality food. I do think it's time to take beer seriously."

Yadda Yadda Yadda...

Yes the brewery you speak of is Stone...Those guys are boring. I hate that they try to push their crap up here in northern california...We've got the better IPA :)

I think the Stone food concept is not over the top, it's just stupid...Most stone products are completely bitter. Adding Stone beer to promote it in every dish is pretty tacky and the entirely wrong way to pair food with beer.

Truthfully I hope I can sell myself as the pizza guy...It looks like they have an absurdly high BTU gas pizza oven. I can make a good pizza.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:50 am 

I'll take nine of ten sliders as a taco instead. Obviously the White Castle style beef slider needs a bun, but for the "innovative" majority I could skip the bread.

We have three common sliders we slip into many parties. A pox on them.

Page 1 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next